Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What to do with...a greedy toddler?

Not greedy for toys, but greedy for food!!

On an average day, JD will eat 2 weetabix and a slice of toast for breakfast. Lunch will be something like scrambled egg on toast, or soup, followed by some fruit and maybe some organix crisps/youghurt/rasins/jelly.

He'll have a snack in the afternoon, some fruit or a crumpet. Dinner is usually what we eat, spag bol and garlic bread, lasagne, pasta, meat and veggies and, depending on how much sweet things he's had during the day, he'll have a baby cookie. At bed he has 7 oz of Goodnight Milk. He drinks a lot of water/juice during the day to. He has never refused any kind of food.

You'd think he's be satisifed all day with that, but he's not. If I'm having lunch after him, he mooches at my feet, smacks his lips and whines. If I give him some, he wants more, if I ignore him, he up's the moaning to crying and a proper sad face appears! It's a bit irritating at home, but when we're out, he tries to steal other childrens snack (at baby groups and screams when he's taken away from the table) and has been known to mooch off other people (from his highchair) at cafes and restaurants. He's a big lad, off the growth charts since birth and at 12 months is running around, he's happy and content, he sleeps well and is a good tot. But the greed is concerning me a bit

Is it normal for toddlers to eat this much? Will the greed pass? I would hate to think he was hungry and this is why he mooches. Am I feeding him too much?

Any advice ladies?xx

Replies

• Options
    Portions are fairly big, two egg for scrambled, 3/4 tinned soup (or 3 ladles of homemade) always 2 slices of thick wholemeal bread (wether it's toasted or not) He eats off a pretty big plate, not quite full dinner size, but much bigger than plastic baby plates)

Fruit portions are whole bananas, apples, satsumas, grapes would be two handfuls, same for rasins/strawberries/blueberries/raspberries. From looking at what my nephews eat, both around 28 months, his portions are massive!! He will also take a bottle in the afternoon if he's offered one!
  • Options
    Lol, could've been written about my son! He can't be trusted around food as it inevitably ends up in his belly whether it's his, mine or a strangers :lol: I try and keep him out of areas with food in if he's not eating himself till he's old enough to understand he can't have other people's food. Most other family's understand if you laugh it off so I try not to worry myself too much and concentrate on keeping him distracted instead.

At home we try and eat together but it's hard with a chef in the house as he doesn't eat at conventional times. If he wants something that I'm eating then he has to say please then he gets a small bit. I've had to make sure I have cupboard locks and keep all food out of sight at home - out of sight, out of mind!

Just to add that at 12 months my son could have literally eaten me out of house and home but now at 19 months his appetite has balanced out and if he does snack or steal food then he eats less of the next meal so as long as what he's eating in between is contributing to a balanced diet I try not to stress about it.
  • Options
    To be honest I think there is no need to worry at all, it sounds like he has a good healthy appetite and a balanced diet!!

It sounds like your lo eats more than Gabe (nearly 25 months) but I would count yourself lucky, If I cook Gabe cheesy beans on toast he will only eat 1 slice, soup prob 1/2 tin, sandwiches 1 slice of bread made into a sandwich. He will eat 2/3 - 3/4 of a bowl of sunday lunch. However Gabe is a fiend for a few things - crisps, fruit, biscuits....and will eat a whole apple or banana, several bowls of strawberries/grapes, and he adores Walkers cheese n onion crisps.....a bit too much...!! But stuff like that, we limit. He doesn't have sweets, but other than that he does as he pleases!!

I think ALL toddlers steal food from their parents, mine does, even if it's just a few peas or carrots!

xx
  • Options
    My son was just the same - off the charts since birth and always very very hungry. He also did the big sad faces if he was refused anything, and threw right tantrums sometimes. We stayed firm as far as possible when he was being unreasonable - as in if he wanted biscuits or other sweet things we would say no and stick to it, and offer him fruit instead. If he wanted more fruit then we'd let him. He is now 3 and although still a big lad he is much less greedy than he used to be, so I would say that it does pass eventually. Hopefully!
  • Options
    I wonder if this is a toddler thing where they don't know yet that they are full??!!

Shea isn't a great varied eater but what he does like he'll eat a lot of, but as soon as he's finished his tea he'll be at the cupboard asking for something else, or I have something he wants it.
    If I do give in and give him something else, he's take a bite then leave it, so I think it might be a habit thing rather than actually wanting something