Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Cereal recommendations

I think Oscar's getting bored of Cheerio's! I'm not keen on him having sugar rich cereals (not that Cheerio's are particularly low in sugar) but he doesn't like weetabix, porridge, rice krispies, cornflakes or shreddies. I think he doesn't like the texture of them once milk has been added. Anyone got any recommendations for a fussy 17 month old?

Replies

• i get the kelloggs pro biotic shapes,Lennon loves them,you also get an asda kind and we buy them also other than that its choc porrage and shreddies in our house lol
  • My 16 month old son went through a phase of not wanting cereal at all, so I would give him a cup of warm milk to drink, and a bowl of dry cereal such as corn flakes. Just watch him as easy for them to get stuck! He soon got bored of the dry taste and started trying to pour his cup of milk into the bowl, so I would help him do it and he soon realised it was much tastier that way!

DH has always been fussy about his cereal, he has to eat it whilst its still crunchy and the moment it starts going soggy in the bowl thats it, he's finished eating. Has been like that since he was a kid apparently. So if its a texture thing it might be the soggy slimy feeling he doesn't like - try small servings with little milk, or even a bowl of cereal and another of milk and scooping from each before you give him the food. Complicated I know but might help!

JD now eats pretty much anything i give him, but he does still like dry cornflakes every now and again!! He LOVES choc porridge but we give that infrequently because he always needs a bath afterwards :lol: never with normal porridge, just the choc one!!
  • haha garfield im the same as your hubby,trying to get the amount of milk right in each bowl is a mare lol and Lennon was like that with cereal had to be dry yuck just the thought if dry shreddies lol

he will now happily have milk but does occasionally ask for dry

as for choc porridge seriously does get everywhere eh :lol:
  • I'll try those pro biotic shapes, thank you!

I normally drain all the milk off cereal after 30 seconds or so as he likes to tip his bowl onto the table so it makes less of a mess but he won't touch rice krispies dry either - though he will eat cheerio's straight from the box. He's an odd little man but I love him :lol:
  • My lo loves all cereal...rice krispies, shreddies, cornflakes though rice krispies are his fave. He likes choc hoops too. And jam or peanut butter on toast. You could try honey nut cheerios to vary it a bit - he's over 1 so can have honey x
  • Ollie has a thing for blueberry wheats at the moment, dry of course :roll: and dry cheerios - this morning they both had a mixture of sugar puffs, cheerios, blueberry wheats and cocopops munchers -all dry lol.

they like those golden syrup flavoured micro oat thingies, so they sometimes share one between them, or they will have toast, or even just fruit sometimes.
    Ollie did once demand custard for brekkie, and then proceeded to eat cereal for his tea! :lol:

xxx
  • I'm actually quite jealous of your lo's eating cereal.
    Archie has porridge (ready brek) with some homemade fruit compote (I chop up some frozen apple and berries and heat witha little honey) And he won't entertain any other kind of cereal.

Even if I'm eating it, which is normally a sure fire way to get him to want some.

I've tried cheerios with milk, dry, out of box anyway you can think and he just throws them one by one on the floor.
    Tried him with some of my fruit and fibre but wouldn't even taste it.

He does eat plenty of other things for breakfast but it would be great/easier for me if he would just have some cereal now and again. S x
  • daisy is a majorly fussy eater and i m more than happy for her to eat any cereal so she generally has coco pops or rice crispies.. but what i do to keep giving her variety is buy the multi packs of individual cereals si can hopefully get her interested in a new cereal. if you dont want him to have a high sugar cereal every day praps give him one once or twice a week to save him getting bored x
  • What about Readybrek. Kara loves this and eats it most mornings. She really loves the honey readybrek. Also what about porridge oats. You can get original in these or many different flavours.
  • Connors similar he doesnt like any of the cereals that are good for him! He likes cheerios, honey cheerios, coco pops, toast with marmite and he likes porridge with a teeny bit of nutella stirred in
    xxxx