Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY TIPS ON ENCOURAGING MY BABY TO WALK

HI LADIES
WADE IS 1 ON THE 1ST AUG AND HE IS SO READY TO WALK HE EVEN DOES IT WITHOUT REALISING CAUSE HE STILL THINKS I'M HOLDING HIS HAND OR ARM BUT I'VE LET GO. BUT IF I ASK HIM TO WALK TO MUMMY HE GETS DOWN AND STARTS TO CRAWL. HE STANDS WELL ON HIS OWN TOO BUT SOON AS HE WANTS TO GET SOMEWHERE HE WILL SIT AND CRAWL. I'M NOT TRYING TO PUSH HIM TO WALK WHEN HIS NOT READY BUT ANYONE COULD SEE HIS READY, SO HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN THROUGH THIS OR GOT ANY TIPS FOR PLS.
THANKS
JO X

Replies

• When Cole was doing similar (and he got so cross cause he couldn't manage it!) my husband and I sat close to each other, one of us had cole and the other had the tv remote (he had an obsession with it.. still does lol!) and we used that to entice him to come to us. It did work - that and his fascination for wanting to get near the cat!

The first time he really walked for a long while holding onto us was when we'd gone to london and we were in bushy park and there is a huge sand pit there - he walked round that lots. I don't know if the sand had anything to do with it -whether he foudn that easier to walk on or what but thats when he really started walking holding on to us.

• HE HAD A WALKER I JUST SOLD IT LAST WEEK. HE HAD IT FROM 5HALF MONTHS AND LOVED IT BUT THE LAST MONTH IF I PUT HIM IN IT HE CRIED JUST WANTED OUT SO HE COULD GET AROUND AND TOUCH THINGS LIKING EATING MUMMYS PLANTS image . HE WANTS TO WALK WITH US ALOT HOLDING JUST 1 FINGER WHICH ISN'T SO BAD NOW CAUSE I CAN STAND UP STRAIGHT BEFORE THAT IT WAS KILLLING MY BACK LOL!!
  • my mil used to put a scarf round james chest, under his arms then hold it behind him, so he had support but didn't feel like he was holding your hand and you don't bend over!

worked really well and he was walking on his own in few weeks x