Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

14 months old refusing food

hi my daughter is months 14 months old, sse was having three meals a day, and three milk drinks (at 11pm, 2 am and 5 am) now she is completely to eat her food, she is refusing to eat all the things she liked, its ben few days that she had a reasnable meal.. really cincerned that she is osing weight but not sure why she is doing that... please help if you had similar exeriencex

Replies

• Hi Saya, I really feel for you, my lo has eaten nothing today but his scrambled egg at breakfast and it gets me so upset and worried when he does this. Just try to remain calm (I'm hopeless at this bit) and remember children will not starve themselves. I often find with hindsight there has been a reason, teething, illness etc. Don't offer snacks in between meal times and this phase will pass. It may be worth a check over from the doctor to rule out illness of any kind.
  • i think most l/o's go through a phase of refusing to eat at this age, too busy running around! it's amazing how little food they can live on, i'd try to give lots of fruit, cheese, yogurts, or whatever she actually *will* eat, would she have a milkshake/ smoothie?

btw do you really get up 3 times to give her a bottle during the night??? she doesn't need milk at all during the night really, just one or two during the day (morning and night normally)

try not to worry too muchimage
  • my lo is starting to refuse his food, he has had a series of colds over the last 6 weeks and hasn't been at his best, when he was really ill he lived on porridge with banana, and sometime now that's all he wants, i run out of food for him coz i give him so many options, and always end up on weetabix or porridge! i hope he will grow out of it!!
  • Thanks fr your replies, my lo doesnt seem to be ill, she is just refusing food no signs of cold or coughs... its very difficult to stay calm but i'm just worried that she is going to lose her weight and get unhealthy... I hope she will get over this soon.. we just ought her a booster seat so probably she will like eating with us at the dinner table...thanks again
  • my lo is 15 months and went through a phase like this. with yoghurts, cheese and milk should only need 1 pint milk a day anymore then you fill them up on milk and so they don't eat.
    If my lo is ill then I understand when he doesn't want to eat so do give him extra milk.
    Last week he would either have breakfast or lunch. not both and then 1 day cos he had both he refused supper (he was up at night needing a bottle).
    Last 3 days he's eaten everything in sight but not great with too big a lumps as only got 6 teeth (7th through but not big enough to count!!)
    He hit 9kg at 9 months but hasn't got to 10kg yet! but he's active and happy and looks well so I don't worry.

A friends lo wouldn't eat anything if it was fed to her off a spoon could your lo be trying to gain independance? I'm about to go through that stage he has to have his own spoon and has now decided actually I want to feed myself!! ( the floor and walls enjoy the food!! oh for a dog!!!)

Good luck but as long as she's still active she's fine. THe other thing is that they say its a control thing as they can control not eating to get a reaction from you so its really important not to react negatively. ITS HARD but I always praise when he eats a good amount and ignore when he doesn't eat or spits food out.

Occasionally I have to force the first spoonful down as he gets it into his head he doesn't like it then once he's had a taste realises how delicious it is.
    eating together does help
  • my daughter is 15 mths and some days she will eat loads other she wont have much. she used 2 have 3 meals a day and 2-3 milks also. teething is a big part of it, sometimes she is of her food and just wants milk other times she wants food from our plates even though we give her the same food, just fussy maybe. try looking at her meals on a weekly basis rather than a day 2 day, she might just want finger food or has gone of the food your giving her. mine used 2 eat toast like it was going out of fashion but she wont touch it anymore she has discovered cracker breads now and loves them, just try as much as you can and keep offering food 2 her at meal times and cut out snacks hope that helps a little x
  • Hi my daughters 13 months old & she is going through the same thing, she will eat breakfast, sometimes lunch but hardly ever dinner. She is a very fussy eater which makes it worse. When she doesnt eat i replace it with milk, do u fink this is a gud idea? I hate the thought that she cud be hungry especially near bed time x
  • i was told my my h/v not 2 give her milk instead of food. keep offering food 2 her at meal times only and give her milk b4 bed and early morning, i done this and it did work, they dont go hungary they will eat more at nx meal if ur v worried i wud give a bottle whilst she is sleeping so she doesnt know that if she refuses food she will get her own way!! saying sometimes my daughter only wants milk when she is unwell/teething so i bend the rules then but i try and stick to 3 meals a day x