Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

14 month old not drinking from a beaker.

:\?My 14 month old girl is still refusing to drink from a beaker. She puts it in her mouth and smiles then chews it and throws it away. i bought a sports cup with a straw yesterday but she just won't suck from either. I've tried all the things they say in magazines like get brightly colourd cups and make it fun for her but she still won't do it! any ideas??!!

Georgette newbie x

Replies

• What are you trying to get her to drink from the beaker? milk, water etc? My Lo does drink from one but not very well, i'm going to try to Doidy cup (have just ordered one from NCT website). my Lo (14months) still has milk from a bottle & teat & a few sips of water/juice from a beaker at meal times. X
  • I've tried water, juice and milk from a beaker but she just hasn't got the idea that she's got to suck from it! she usually has her milk from a bottle and teat and her water too. Ive seen those doidy cups advertised and have thought about getting one if she doesn't cotton on soon!

G x
  • im affrraid its trial and error with different beakers. have you tryed the bottles that have handles and instead of a round baby teat its flatter and harder. (i hope that makes sence) in the end we used that for a while and then switched. also some beakers are extremly hard to such from so try to use it your self and soften it up, or just keep that in mind and dont go for the non leak ones if the juice can flow easier it will encourage her to use it
  • I've tried beakers with the flat rubber tops and the plastic ones and ive got one with a straw, theyve all got handles and some are non spill and somw are free flowing ones but she just hates anything thats not a bottle.
  • its like everything they do it in there own time. there just as stuborn as us adults lol. im sure it will work its own time just keep trying and dont get to stressed. good luck
  • have you tried making it into a game where you all take turns to take a spit out of her cup and then getting to her last for her to have a go?
    that worked for me!
  • do you just give her it at mealtimes and snacks times? My son is 20 months and still won't drink from a beaker, his speech therepist said to leave the beaker hanging around with his toys and let him play with it & get used to it. also does your lo have a teddy/doll? role playing getting teddy to drink works too... although not yet for me!! lol :roll: but saying that he did drink 3oz of water from a beaker yesterday, so maybe the penny's finally dropped?? lol just keep trying & don't give up, they'll get it one day! xxx ps. I have a cupboard full of different cups/beakers, I do have a doidy cup but he loves playing with water and thinks it's a game to put his fingers in the water. :roll:
  • excellent advice from everyone! thank you! i do leave the beaker out for her to play with and ive been trying since she was 6 months old but she still hasn't got the idea! at least im not the only one! i will try the role playing with teddy and dolly and let you all know how we are getting on! although i'm Gracie- free tonight! she's off to her nans while i get taken out for dinner for some much needed me time! x x
  • oh thats sound great - enjoy yourself & let you hair down.X
  • hello all,

just to let you know Grace has now mastered the beaker!!! i sat her down on the floor with about 5 different beakers and pretended to drink from them. After about 10 minutes she found one she liked and kept drinking....i had to fill it up with water 3 times! thanks for all the advice.

georgette x x x x
  • i had so much trouble with this i have finally got my 13 month old to drink from beaker.i just kept offering until one day he just did it!try giving milk from cup when she is likely to be thirsty (morn maybe)give a cup that she can easily drink from (not have 2 suck 2 hard)that is non spill and soft spout and be consistent.the one that worked for me was a black + white cow print cup from asda.gl
  • i had so much trouble with this i have finally got my 13 month old to drink from beaker.i just kept offering until one day he just did it!try giving milk from cup when she is likely to be thirsty (morn maybe)give a cup that she can easily drink from (not have 2 suck 2 hard)that is non spill and soft spout and be consistent.the one that worked for me was a black + white cow print cup from asda.gl
  • my 16 month old is still drinking from a bottle and will not entertain the idea of any kind of cup! she is still drinking loads of milk as she will not touch juice or water.iv ad to put her on semi skimmed milk she drinks that much. ive tried SO many times with cups but i just figure she wont drink out of a bottle forever!! my 2nd baby due soon so am trying to introduce the fact that bottles are for babies and she is a big girl and should be using a cup!
    my health visitor reckons i should go cold turkey with her and only give her milk in a bottle at bedtime, but she hasnt heard the way she screams if you refuse!!she will bang on the fridge door and refuse to come out of the kitchen until she gets milk in a botle!!
    i must admit i am struggling but like i said, it wont last forever!!
  • at one point my lo would only drink milk.he now has a cup at breakfast + a cup with a snack at 3. I give 1 cup of well diluted juice at lunch and tea.(he still wont drink water)this way he knows wot to expect and when.ur lo will stop screaming when she knows u wont give in!if lo is still v attached 2 bottle why not get into routine of giving juice/water in bottle + milk in cup?if she wants the milk that badly she will have 2 drink from cup yet you dont have 2 worry about her going thirsty as she will drink juice from bottle if she has to!gl
  • My LO was very fussy about beakers I think some of them were too hard on her gums ( she was very late getting teeth) so was forever testing the spouts to see if trhey were soft, she also started using a sports bottle after seeing her older cousins using them (I just put water in them)