Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Still Using a Dummy?

My Lo is 14months & still loves his dummy. He cannot go to sleep without it & regularly wakes in the night to find it if its fallen out. am trying to wean his off it during the day & this is working quite well. But am worried about nighttimes. Anyone got any tips. PS I'm not into controlled crying. X

Replies

• does he have a type if dummy he wont use. my little boy was in love with his dummy but one night i couldnt find any dummies in the house except for one he would never use. i offered it to him and he held it but wouldnt use it, for a few days if he asked for a dummy i gave him that and it worked. i didnt feel mean for saying no and he was making the decision not to us it
  • tbh i think at 14 months isn't too bad for still having a dummy. my son is 20 months and still has a dummy but only at his nighttime sleep. he doesn't have it in the day but that was a gradual thing that I start when he turned 12months. I used lots & lots of distraction to get him to forget about the dummy in the day. image I'd say fight one battle at a time! lol get the no dummy in the day well established before starting on the nighttime one. I was going to start weaning daniel off his at night but with number 2 due in a week I think I'll leave it till we're back into some sort of normal routine. xxx
  • i've started weaning James off his dummy (he's 6 months) and i've found at nap and night time we give him a very soft cuddly dog instead of the dummt and doudou and he plays with this for approx 10 mins until he goes to sleep. fingers crossed it seems to be working

• He's doing really well without it during the day, unless he sees one, then he cries for it & points at it - until i distract him with something else. I'm not gong to rush it, after all it was me who started him on them in the first place (for a bit of peace), so its not fair to just remove it now. i 'm sort of hoping he will gradully wean off himself in time. thanks for your support/advice. Cathyx

[Modified by: CathyG on June 01, 2007 11:37 AM]

[Modified by: CathyG on June 01, 2007 11:37 AM]
  • My son is the same Cathy. He was a very sucky baby from birth and would suck on my finger all day and night until I introduced him a dummy because my arm was going dead at night! lol...I weaned him off his dummy during the day around 7 months of age with no problems at all (excpet if he sees a dummy during the day like how your son reacts! lol) , just a lot of distraction - and this was because I was worried about it causes speech issues as some other children at the baby/toddler groups we go to have a dummy in their mouth ALL day at the age of 3 and have horrible speech or dont speak at all - I have read that the dummy is the caues of this! But whilst they are sleeping, I do not see how this can be an issue and most dummies (we use MAM) are othodontic so will NOT cause teeth issues as some people like to think - so I am in no rush to get him off his dummy at night. TBH with you, I tried it once - and he became increasingly grumpy with lots of tantrums during the day and the only thing that changed was that he was no longer having his dummy at night. I gave him back his dummy at night after 3 days of him being very grumpy, unhappy and unlike himself and the next morning he was back to himself again - my happy and cheerful boy! - Coinscidence or not - I dont think so! - They are called 'pacifiers' in America and thats exactly what they do! I am also in no rush because I sucked on my fingers till I was 8 years old! :O lol - My parents made me stop by putting socks on my hands at night to prevent me from sucking on them....it was my comfort though but once you lose it, it is gone and you can never get it back. I still remember how nice it felt but I just cant get that comfort back as hard as I try - so my sons dummy is his comfort and I am not about to take that away from him. He will evnetually not want it and that will come in his own time and I am perfectly fine with that!
  • Thanks Ann of Loxley - my thoughts exactly. Cheers x
  • my 13 month old now only has his dummy at bed time.i clip it to him so that he can find it if he wakes in the might.he no longer has it during day i take it off him while i am changing his nappy in morn as he is distracted he doesnt notice.dummy stays in nursery.he used 2 b well attached to it but soon forgot about it if he was distracted x
  • My son is 18 months old and still uses a soother to go to sleep with at night. I personally don't find it a problem and he will eventually not want it.
  • hi. my little girl is 22 months.and she has her dummy at bed times and when she is feeling off still. she doesn't have it when we go out but at home for comfrot. but all kids and parents are different and you all do what is best for your and your kid.
    my 3rd little boy gave up his dummy last christmas and he was 3 years old. but he only had it at bed times anyway.
    take care xxxx