Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Early terrible twos!!

Help!! - I've got 2 daughters, expecting my 3rd baby in August. My 19 month old has suddenly developed a right temper. She scratches, hits, screams, kicks, stamps her feet if she doesn't get her own way. Her elder sister has strops but nothing like this. I'm hoping she is just going throught the terrible twos early and hopefully will grow out of it before the baby comes but any advice would be gratefully received from anyone who has gone through this - thanks!!

Replies

• Options
    Hi, my 18 month old is doing exactly the same. He is a nightmare. I almost dread saying "no" as I know what the result will be. However, if it gets too much I just walk into another room. He will either follow or just cry himself out. The trick I think is to be consistent - try not to give in.
  • Options
    Hi Sibles24,
    not sure if I can offer any advice but I have two boys, one will be 4 in June and the other is 2 in a few weeks. I'm also expecting my third in September. I can totally empathize with you. My older boy did have strops but my little one gets really cross. He can be and is most of the time fab but when he has to do something he doesn't want to do he turns into a little *#*!!!! He has real temper tantrums, once he's calmed down he's fine but it is hard to deal with. He has recently started to have big tantrums at bed time. I try to talk to him, soothingly etc but it is very hard especially when you are tired yourself. I know with my oldest he did just grow out of it. I'm afraid I'm not being much help but I just wanted you to know you are not alone and it is normal, although very hard when it's happening. My husband keeps telling me that our second is just like me.... I don't know what he can mean!!!! Keep smiling, love Tracy
  • Options
    Thanks to both of you for replying - it's nice to know I'm not alone!! She seems to be improving slightly - I'm distracting her with toys etc when I put her in the car so I don't get kicked. Though the other day she cried for nearly 2 hours, almost made herself sick - it was over something so silly I can't even remember what!! So fingers crossed by August she should have improved - hopefully!! Thanks again, Sam