Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Does this mean he's ready?

My little one was just trying to tell me something and I was taking to long to guess the right answer so he marched off and got his changing mat and lay down on it. Sure enough he had a dirty nappy! He has done this before, so it's not a one off fluke.
Does that mean that I need to start thinking about potty training? Could he be ready at just 19 months? And if he is, where do I start??

Replies

• Lucas plays with himself when hes about to pee now (even with clothes on he jsut has a wee hold of that area) so have been wondering if hes getting ready too. He's 17 months. He obviously knows when hes peeing now!!
  • Cole does that too.. course sometimes when he gets the mat out its because he wants to drive his tractor on the mat but uaually he needs a nappy change. No harm in trying to sit him on a potty after a nappy change.

We've been letting cole sit on a potty since he turned 1, and we ask him if he wants to sit on it before his bath and after a nappy change. sometimes he wants to and sometimes he doesnt. He's starting to get some connection though because he'll sit on the potty and say 'wee' if we go to the loo, and he has to have his own bit of loo roll lol. On nice days (or the odd day where he's really f ussed and wanted the nappy off) we let him go outside with no nappy on and try and sit him on the potty if he wees.

We always ask him too if he's done a wee or a poo and he's started hiding if he can when he poos and I think that might be a good sign that he's aware of what he's doing.

we don't plan on pushing anything with potty training right now, just to persevere with what we are doing

hth
  • I think if they are telling you AFTER the event they are still not yet ready but getting there!