Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

6 month old wearing a Hijab?

Ok I am fully aware a topic like this is controversial and yes partly the reason why I posted but also interested to know if people who are anon to one another on an internet site would give a more honest reply about thier opinion.

I was looking on FB at a friend who I went to school with's pictures. She has since left the UK and returned to her native country with her husband and 4 children. She is a lovely lady and from what I know a great mother.

Her 6 month old little girl is wearing all black with a Hijab overing her head/neck etc. Now while the baby looks super cute the picture has really bothered me.

Now I know I may be wrong and happy to be corrected (so I went on wiki before to read more before writing) but I thought it was to protect sexual modesty etc.

I really dont like it. (just as I dont like little girls in heels, ears pireced.....which are different topics and not at all meant to offend anyone just giving an example)

To me and I truely believe in most cultures, children are wonderful beautiful things that our creator (whoever it may be) made to be loved and admired. I feel sad this little girl at 6 months old is already covered head to toe. It also made me wonder about her vit D (My MW said women who wear full body covering have to have injections thoughout pregnancy due to Vit D deficiency)...would the same thing apply?

Thoughts and opinions please x

(editted due to shocking spelling....written very quickly as a potato waffle was being thrust up my nostil by 1 year old son)

[Modified by: akaLadyK on 09 September 2010 15:30:51 ]

Replies

• From my perspective... I think I agree with what you're saying? Anyway! I don't like the idea of her wearing it IF its because her parents think people might view her as a sexual being. It makes me shudder to think people think that of a 6-month old. Horrid. I also think its nice for kids to be kids - I hate kids growing old before their time. Does that also make sense?

xxx
  • Oooh. This is interesting!

I don't really know what to think to be honest. Part of me thinks that its slightly wrong as she isn't being given the chance to be a baby, toddler or a child. She isn't being given the chance to wear pretty clothes or shoes, but i don't know much about religion so not sure if this is allowed anyway?

I agree with mummyjoo too, if her parents are afraid of her being looked upon in a sexual way (i don't even want to think why they would be worried about this at such a yound age) then maybe its for the best and they are being very protective?

Never seen or heard of this happening before though?

xx
  • I thought girls only had to cover-up once their periods started. Maybe the parents were trying to protect delicate baby skin from the strong sun?

Liz x
  • I found this online:

http://www.witness-pioneer.org/VMagazine/v5i1/HijabChildren.htm

I think the idea of getting a child used to wearing a hijab may be useful although this seems unnecessary at 6 months. This article seems to suggest a number of gentle ways of introducing young girls to the hijab and not just thrusting it on them when 12 years old.

You also don't say whether your friend is dressing her up like this all the time or just every now and again. After all we will put our little girls in a pretty dress, shoes, hair clips etc for a party or wedding just to show them off even though they will throw up on the dress and don't walk or have hair. image
    Many people will also dress their babies in T-shirts with totally inappropriate comments on them. It doesn't really matter to me as the child doesn't read and it just for adult entertainment but many others will take major offence by this.

Hxx
  • Oooh I really dont know if it is a perm thing, only going by one FB album where she was in her living room with it on in the pictures. I dont know the mother or speak to her these days to know any further info. Purely going by an album I saw.
  • I've never heard of or seen a baby in a hijab, personally I can't see what the point of it would be. I know they are worn to protect modesty, so how would that apply to a baby? Unless they just dressed her in it for a special occassion or something. Would be sad to think of a gorgeous little baby being covered up all the time.

xxx
  • Was she wearing a Hijab or a Burqa? A Burqa is full length and covers the entire body and head and a Hijab covers just the head which is worn from quite a young age depending on how strict the family's are. I went to a 99% Muslim comprehensive school so i had a lot of Muslim friends obviously.. some more strict than others. I often asked questions about things like the Hijab, burqa etc naturally. Not many of the girls at my school wore a full Burqa, probably just a hand full in fact and the school was pretty big. The girls who did who i spoke to said it wasnt just about modesty or sexuality it was about preserving there beauty for there future husbands... the way they told the story made it seem very romantic in fact. Most of the girls wore Hijabs (that cover the head) even the really young girls in the primary schools.

I cant say i ever saw a baby wear one and i lived in Bradford for 6 years :lol: maybe she was just dressing her up for a photo or something? I guess they have to get use to wearing it if thats what the family wants but i cant help but think it would just annoy a baby lol. xx
  • I have lived in Bradford for just over a year and have never seen a baby wearing a Hijab so my presumption would be that it is not tradition for young children to wear them. I have often noticed families where you can noticably tell the age difference between the girls because the older ones wear a Hijab while the younger ones don't, I had always presumed it was an age thing.
    I find it slightly worrying that a small child is wearing something to protect their modesty when at that age it shouldn't (in an ideal world) even be a consideration.
    Is it a recent photo, it is Eid today, the holiday marking the end of Ramadan and children get presents and fancy clothes to wear to celebrate.
  • I was just coming to post that its Eid today so maybe she is just dressed up for the occasion.. its sort of like there Christmas xx
  • Sounds like maybe it's like putting her in a pretty dress for a brithday party?
    I don't know.
    i don't really understand the reasons for wearing a hijab or burqa anyway so can't really comment on it. Maybe as it's a special occasion, it was a present from realtives or something?
  • I dnt see a problem with a baby wearing a hijab...I believe it's quite a beautiful thing and cute...in the western world the culture of type of clothing is different from that of the east. It's not about protecting a babies modesty at that age please that's rediculous. Islamic clothing is Islamic clothing at the end of the day it's a symbol identification of a religion like children wear the turban or a cross. I also believe wearing the hijab young n getting used to it from earlie it better then forcing n imposing a child of age to wear it. Then it become difficult for the child to go through the transitions.
  • I dnt see a problem with a baby wearing a hijab...I believe it's quite a beautiful thing and cute...in the western world the culture of type of clothing is different from that of the east. It's not about protecting a babies modesty at that age please that's rediculous. Islamic clothing is Islamic clothing at the end of the day it's a symbol identification of a religion like children wear the turban or a cross. I also believe wearing the hijab young n getting used to it from earlie it better then forcing n imposing a child of age to wear it. Then it become difficult for the child to go through the transitions. That's cruel to the child specially growing up in d west
  • o, women who cover their bodies during pregnancy do not need vitamin D shots, I am living proof of that. But ad a muslim don't understand why a baby or girl under the age of puberty would need to wear hijab. I guess it's all personal preference. Personally I'm not going to ask my daughter if she wants to wear hijab until she's able to understand the full meaning of hijab, which is so much more than just a headscarf. Maybe wrap one on just for a special occasion to look cute but that's it. But again it's all personal preference. To each her own. 

• Actually you're wrong. I know I'm really late but I case someone stumbles across this. I'm covered head to toe and pregnant and don't require a vit d injection neither am I vit d deficient. My pregnancy is low risk and very healthy.