Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Persistant Diarrhoea any advice???

Hi ladies,
my toddler is 2 next month and for the last 4-5 days he has had diarrohea and very sloppy poo, it got worse yesterday i must have changed him about 8 times i havent been to worried as he is eating drinking and genrally fine in himself, anyway i have made a doc appointment for today to get him checked as its not stopping, does anyone know what causes this as his never had it before and hasnt eaten anything new im sue he has all his teeth aswell ?? x x x

Replies

• Options
    Hi

Not sure what can cause it but think you are doing the right thing getting it checked out. Doc perscribed some stuff for my daughter to rehydrate her just incase but i cant remember what its called so sorry, its a sachet drink if i remember rightly & it just replaces any lost sugar etc, and we let the diarrhoea ride itself out as she had no obvious problems, it did it the end & she was fine, sure doc will put your mind at rest
  • Options
    My lo had bad diorhea a few weeks ago. It started over the weekend so I took her into the chemist & he gave me kaolin mixture which helps settle childrens tummies & dioralyte to replace any lost fluids & salts. Fortunitly it seemed to clear it uo for her & I didnt need to take her to the drs but I think you are better getting it checked out when it has lasted as long as it has. My lo's turned out to be a tummy bug (coz her dad caught it the next week) & she was like your lo, she didnt go off her food & their was no sickness or teeth. Hope your lo is feeling better soon

Hilary x
  • Options
    Hi Laurajayne
    My lo is 2 in decemer and for the past week has had very sloppy poo also although not full blown diarrhoea. I put it down to teeth as he hasn't got them all yet and also because he has been eating more fruit lately - he keeps asking for it so I give it to him as I feel this latest fad will be short lived unfortunately!
    Let me know how you get on at doc if you go as I would be interested. All the best.
    meg
  • Options
    hi,
    my daughter had this for a while when she was around the same age. she wasnt ill, no temp, wasnt in pain and her diet hadnt changed. i took her to the docs and he took a sample of the poo (ooo what a nice job lol) he diagnosed her with "toddler diarrhoea". apparantley its just something that happens to some children at this age and is aggravated by lactose.it doesnt mean your child is lactose intolerant just at a particular age it seems to aggravate the gut in some children. he told me to not give her any products containing lactose for 3 months. as soon as i stopped the lactose the diarrhoea stopped. after 3 months when i let her have milk and stuff again she was fine, no problems at all. strange isnt it, id never even heard of toddler diarrohea until then or known anyone whos had a child with it.
  • Options
    might just be a tummy upset. get it checked as it shouldn't last more than 24 hours really. xx let us know how it goes xx
  • Options
    hi ladies
    i took my lo to the docs and he did a little check over his ears,tummy and throat were all fine he said he didnt have any signs of dehydration so he just recommended dyrialite but my lo wont touch it, its quite bitter. so ive given up on that and given him his juice back so his drinking something. he has been fine this evening but just before bed his temperature shot right up so ive given him some calpol and he has settled down to sleep. so i hope he doesnt get worse or it will be back to the docs tomoro lol x x
  • Options
    diarrhoea can happend to any one with no reason(maybe becouse food or cold) but if don't start geting better afther special diet, then you must ask doc for some medicine.And need to drink lots of water,juce,tea.And I know very good old medicine with black coffe and little bit. . .....something but not for very young children.
  • Options
    Hi laurajayne

I had the same trouble getting my lo to take diorralyte but I found that if I mixed it in a wee bit of juice that she would take it no problem. I asked the dr if this was ok & she said that ideally they should take it in water but if they wouldnt then mixing it with juice is fine. There are also different flavours of diorralyte & I found my lo took the blackcurrant best

Hilary x
  • Options
    My son is 2 and he has been diagnosed with Toddler Diarrhoea his poos r horrible the doctors have even sent them off to b tested aswell