Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

what is 2 much tell 4 a 3 year old !!

hiya every1

WHAT IS 2 MUCH TELLY??

i was just woundering as my little girl all she seems to do when were at home is watch telly i live in a flat so have no garden which is a shame as she loves playin out side cum rain or shine! i have brough paintin n crayons and ive even tryed to get her involve n help feed n bath her little sister and do things together but all she wants to do is sit in her bedroom n watch telly if i say no she gets so worked up she ends up not bein able to breath!

i no she is watchin way 2 much telly but not sure what else to do?

any advice on what to do or how much telly kids are actually allowed to watch would be moslt appresiated

thank u

Replies

• It sounds a bit harsh but if it were me I wouldn't let her have a tv in her bedroom! I am probably a bit strict as I have said ours aren't getting their own tv untill they are at least 12!

Millie is nearly two and at the minute she watches about 2 hours tv a day. Tbh that is more than I would like but I am very pregnant and not able to take her out to the park and things as much as I would like. I am very picky about what she watches, the only channel that we have on is Cbeebies so at least she isn't watching all the adverts and things.

If you are really worried I thing you just need to bite the bullet and turn of the tv. You'll probably find that she flips out the first couple of times but as long as you ignore her she'll not bother after the first couple of time.
    Hope that helps
    Kerry
    xx
  • hi,i agree with bedhead in the sense that there will be no tv in my lo bedrooms untill they are at least 12,can you try to have a chart as to when she can watch the tv??x
  • Joe's 3 and he doesn't have a TV in his bedroom. Like others have said we're going to hold out for as long as we can on that one, we weren't allowed as children and it hasn't done us any harm. That said, he knows how to turn the TV and Sky box on (and find his fave Playhouse Disney channel) so every time I turn it off, he puts it back on as soon as he notices, lil bugger! He doesn't sit there and watch it unless he's tired though so I think he just likes the background noise while we play. If you really want to stop her I think you're just going to have to go for it and limit the TV watching by turning it off and letting her scream it out. She'll soon get used to the new rules and start enjoying new activities.