Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Pls an honest opinion-not toddler related

I know this is the wrong forum to post this so forgive me but it is the only forum where I feel I know people so comfortble with the advice plus I really need advice from mummies with an older lo.So,I know it is an absolute no no,and believe me I am an official advice following freak(never did anything against lol),but would u absolutely NEVER EVER reused a mattress for a new baby? Pepi is curently in a cot bed which would make sence to get her out and use for her little sibling due in november,but I am so torn to throw the mattress away.We got it when she was nearly 1 as I really hated her previous one and it is fantastic,individually pocketed fully sprung one blah blah ??180 down the drain if we throw it,and I really dont think anything is wrong with it.Pepi was never sick on it and has never been ill in her life(minus one ear infection that lasted aprox.7 hours and maybe 3 colds in her entire life),her nappy had never leaked,she never got any food on it,plus I can unzipp the top part wash it 60 degrres and wipe clean the underneath.She is so light (11,3 kg) I honestly think she could not squash and make it uncomfortable in any way plus she has only uesd it since 1 year old,the mattress feels as firm as ever not in any way worn or anything.I just cant help thinking that even though Pepi has used it is still much better than for example a foam mattress in an average moses basket,which is quite thin etc...How about people who cosleep?Surely they dont get a new mattress for their bed each time a baby is born?Surely weight of 2 adults is more dammaging on a mattress than that of an ultra light toddler?So any opinions on what would u do?Many thanks.

Replies

• Reuse the mattress I have never heard anything different. Sounds like a ploy to get you buying more! image x
  • personally i wldn't reuse a mattress, ds will be 21months (he's currently 13months and a diddy 19lb10 so no weight issue there either) when baby no2 is due in december and he'll be going into the cotbed so that no2 can have the cot, but i'll be a getting new mattress, even dribble (which all babies do) contains bacteria that breeds and can potentially be harmful..if u'd had a waterproof protector on it then this wld be less of an issue but if not then personally i wldn't do it as the saliva wld've crept down into the mattress...i don't agree with co sleeping either (although each to their own) for various reasons so that doesn't change my personal opinion, tbh tho its what u feel comfortable with..personally i'm not comfortable with it, and will be getting new moses and pram mattresses too and obviously they were used far less (moses 14weeks and pram 5 months)...hth xx

edited due to the numerous typos! xx

[Modified by: WoW Baby on April 24, 2010 11:20 PM]

• Hello hun, we re-used our cot mattress - it was absolutely fine and we could see that! I have heard the advice to change mattresses with each child - because apparently 'a dip' can be formed by a toddler, which could then be dangerous for a newborn.

I think you can use your common sense here - if you know the mattress is clean, and you can see the springs are still prefectly in shape, then, yes go ahead and re-use it.
    xx
  • hmm just a question? can u get a mattress dry cleaned or steam cleaned? .. if thats possible then maybe i wld, but not unless it had been given a proper 'inside out' clean. xx
  • I would absolutly reuse a matress if i could see that there was nothing wrong with it and only a silbling had previously used it. If you didnt already use them, why not buy a quilted matress protector and waterproof sheet for the matress to use under a normal sheet. Surely if any bacteria is lurking, it wouldnt get up though a protector and plastic sheet?
  • Thank you for the replies.The mattress has got 2 useable sides one of which has got a waterproof wipe clean side which is then covered with a zip on topper and we had only ever used that side-so I could in theory wash or replace the top part and definitely no dribble has gone thruogh the actuall matress,that is one of the reasons I feel it is in good condition,I mean the first one we had was also sprung but I was unhappy with it so chucked it after a year without a second thought ,but this is one is just too good to throw in my opinion.It genuinly looks and feels brand new that is why Im hesitating.Thank you for your replies again.
  • i reused the mattress as it was wipe clean waterproof cover and Lexie went into a bed early so it was only a few weeks before Leah went into the cot and it was just so expensive to get another if i ever have another as the gap will be larger i will get a new one but there is only 17 months between my girls so i saw no problem with it as i gave it a good clean.

[Modified by: 2girlywhirlys on April 25, 2010 01:26 AM]

• I would re use too. It sounds like you have researched it and you know that the mattress is fine. Wash the cover in as hot a temp as possible and also air the actual mattress outside and hoover it (gets rid of bedbugs etc) maybe buy a new mattress protector? I got one from mothercare which I wash every few days.

The only one I won't reuse are moses basket ones. They are cheap anyway and used when the baby is most likely to be sick!

d x
  • I reused Lily's cot mattress when I had Evie, I had no problems with it at all. The mattress has a washable outer cover so I took that off and washed it on a hot wash. Then I also turned the mattress over. If there was a big age gap then I would prob get a new mattress, but only 12 months between my girls.

xxx
  • I'd reuse, I reused my moses basket mattress and when Alfie eventually goes into the cot the mattress will be reused in there too. We got the cot off my Auntie who had it at hers for when her grandson stayed over. It's been slept on less than 10 times probably and I know it's in fantastic condition so it's being kept lol.
  • In your case i would re-use it hun. You obviously are fully aware of what the potential problems are with old ones, and yours sounds fine, so long as like you say, you give it a good clean! x
  • G/C (sorry)

I am expecting my next baby in december, when Abby will be 20 months, my plan is to have her in the crib for the first couple of months (with a new mattress) and then move her into Abby's old cot (Abby has a cot bed now - which we inherited from her cousin) with the old mattress when number 2 is a bit bigger and more robust.

I think the advice about not using old mattresses is just to stop you using ones that are really old and completely minging. I would just trust your instincts and I am sure it will be fine. xxx
  • I'd never use Gabe's mattress again in a million years and that's saying something as I'm a skinflint. However, Gabe is 2 now and has been sleeping on that mattress since 6 weeks old & he had awful reflux (the sick type not the pain type). He's also had a couple of diarrhea incidents on it & one vomiting bug where I'd always find him in the morning covered in sick. I've washed the cover but it didn't make much difference to the stains (gross sorry) and try to avoid washing it if I have to as it's impossible to get back on . He's also spilled juice on it a couple of times. So yes there is no chance I would everrrr use Gabes again but I would use it if it was in a good condition, I think the whole you MUST buy a new mattress stuff is a bit much personally.

x
  • If you know its clean and as you say it has a waterproof layer and removeable cover that can be washed then i would deff use it again!x