Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Feeding himself? So frustrated!

Hi everyone Max is 14 months old now and has just started wanting to feed himself with a spoon.

He sort of stabs at his food so I bought him a little fork, but he seems scared of it! :lol: He stabs his spoon in his bowl, then puts it in his mouth and gets really annoyed when there's no food on it. I feed him a bit myself, with another spoon, otherwise he'll never get anything to eat!

My mum suggested guiding his spoon to his mouth, full of food, but he hates it when I do this and starts thrashing around and screaming. I think he really wants to do it himself, but can't.

What do I do!? Do I leave him to get on with it, and hope he gets there in the end? Or keep trying with the fork?
Any advice would be great,

thanks xxxxxxxxx

Replies

• Cant offer no advice my lazy nearly 16 month old will not feed himself lol
  • Erin started to want to feed herself at around 12mnths... she started off with a spoon but like your lo got very fustrated, we got her a little fork and it took her ages to get the hang of it.... even now at 18mnths she still gets mad sometimes.
    Just keep trying, also we found that giving Erin food she could pick up with her hands or the fork worked well, like chicken, pots, peas, carots etc, so she could use her hands and the fork, also mashed pots are quite good too as they tend not to fall off as easily.
    just keep trying hun and i'm sure Max will get the hang of it soon. x
  • oh I know how you feel hun!! Eoin (15 months)feeds himself but how he acts each mealtime depends on his mood...... one mealtime He put the fork towards my mouth, so I munched the food on it and went yum.... NOW he demands he feeds me his dinner and gets angry when I refuse!!!!! other days he will sit and feed himself happily with me helping here and there... or, like last night he will have a paddy and throw his beaker and spoon if I try and help!

His new trick is too pick up the bowl and hand it to me saying "finish, finish" then when I take it he will reach to take it back saying "more ... more" he such a pickle!!!!
  • Hi I know how you feel.Ben is 18mths and I keep thinking he should be feeding himself abit more...though he shows interest now and again,for the most part he wants me to do it!!
    He has a fork, and seems to enjoy stabbing at everything,but this seems more like a game,and food usually goes everywhere but in his mouth!then he sits there covered muttering "oh dear,oh dear"
    I tend to sit with him and feed him mostly,or put the food onto the fork and help guide it to his mouth,praising him when he puts it in the right place lol
    Things like mash,or large chunks of food that can be cut up and stabbed with his fork are best!
    Hopefully we will get there eventually..I suppose I really shouldnt worry,he will do it in his own time,I just need to encourage him more
  • Like benjismummy, I started by putting the food on my LO's fork and then he's put it in his mouth. My LO is incredibly highly strung and I never know whether his inability to stab individual pieces of sweetcorn with his fork will end up in a tantrum!
    Hopefully your LO will become more familiar with the fork and he'll be feeding himself like an expert.