Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Chesty Cough

Hi everyone hope all is well,
Neve has had a bit of a cold and a chesty cough for a few days now, its a lot worse at night and she is very flemmy. I have checked with a pharmacist and he has advised that I can give babies under 2 yrs baby cough medicines containing glycerol (she is 11 months). Calpol Cough tickly is one of those and the websites also states that Calpol chesty is for over 2 yrs but Calpol Cough tickly is fine for 3 months +.

Would you just go ahead and give her the only one she can take even though she is chesty rather than tickly or does anyone know of an alternative, more suitable product I can give her?

I am already using Olbal oil for her bedroom and vicks on her chest.

Replies

• A wheezy chest
    TRY THIS Aromatic oil.
    HOW IT HELPS Scotch pine essential oil is great for opening up the airways and easing chest infections and breathing. For babies from 3 months to 2 years, dilute one drop of pine oil in a teaspoon of sweet almond oil before adding to a warm bath. For children aged 2 and over, use up to three drops in a teaspoon of carrier oil.
    If your child has sensitive skin, fill the sink with very hot water and add the essential oil. -This will create a soothing vapour without risking a reaction to her sensitive skin,' says Cath Kay, herbalist for Neal's Yard Remedies in Glasgow. You could also try a plug-in vaporiser, such as Karvol, ??5.99, from supermarkets.
    If your child has breathing difficulties or anything more than mild wheeziness, seek medical help immediately.
    WHERE TO GET IT Most heath food stores sell Scotch pine essential oil.

this has always worked with Lennon,we really steam up the bathroom but we have also used the tickly one instead of the chest because of the age thing
  • Hello

Hills Balsam make a chesty cough syrup for younger children but its generally only available in independent pharmacies.

Hope you get some sleep tonight