Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Whose toddler still has a dummy

And when are you getting rid of it?

Gabe still has one, well several, and he's nearly 2. Our problem is he's OK if he cant see them but if they're lying around, which they often are, he wants it and they have started to give him a rash so I am determined to get rid of them completely in the day.

I don't mind him having them for bed time and nap time but when is reasonable to get rid of them totally - I was planning to stop completely by next xmas or at the very latest his 3rd birthday and Im hoping he'll never have them in the day soon.

I never give him one in the day except at naptime but he has a tendency of hunting them down!! What to do?? I was thinking of just having 4 dummies-
1 in changing bag for emergencies
1 downstairs by sink for naptime
1 upstairs in his cot for bed
1 for nannys house

What do you think?? x

Replies

• They've not affected his speech btw - he said his first proper sentence today (Other than the usual "Hello dog! Bye dog!" when he sees dogs in the street , or the simple ones like ' Where's vicky' 'Ball gone!'!!) ...he said .... "I got - I two tatoes" (Translate: Ive got two potatoes!) when holding 2 potatoes!!
  • it is so hard isn't it trying to find a gentle way of getting rid of them. hayden is 18 months and for about a month or so now ihave been trying to get rid of his . it was either now when i can win or wait till he can understand why we r getting rid of them! we have a tub of them in his room and i try sooooo hard not to give in and let him have them through day but like your lo , he seems to always have one stashed !LOL
    i think your idea of 4 in diferent places could work. just as long as you never loose one! Eek!
    hope it works love fi
  • My eldest is just over 2 and ideally I would have got rid of his dummy earlier but my youngest is 10 months and relys on his dummy a lot when teething and if I get rid of my 2 year olds dummy he will just pinch his little brothers dummy!
    My plan this summer is to get rid of the dummys during the day for a week and then once that is ok just bin them so they are totally gone. I think it will be hard for a couple of days but then hopefully there will be no more dummy hunts! x
  • We've just got rid of Oscar's in the day - except for half an hour or so after sleep as he tends to wake up grumpy. He's not got any hiding places fortunately so it's been pretty easy so far. Not sure how he'll manage when he goes to nursery one day a week (from Wednesday) as there are several older children who have them so there are a few lying around. Also we're doing our first long car trip today without one. Eeekk!!

I think your idea sounds good, but I'd probably keep some spares stashed in a cupboard somewhere just in case any get lost
  • DD turned 2 last month and still has her dummy for nap and bedtimes. Not bothered for one during the day unless, like Gabe, she sees one or she gets upset about something. I scoured the house and cars, collected about 15 (!!!!) which are now stashed on the top shelf of a cupboard so she can't see them!
    DS had a dummy til he was very nearly 3 when the dummy fairy came to collect it one night. She, very kindly lol, brought him a trip to the aquarium and a cuddly Nemo fish in exchange for a week without it!
    Xx
  • Shea is 2 1/2 and still has one for sleep. He's the same tho, if they are about he'll pick one up and put one in his mouth, so what we do is ask him to hand it over when he wakes up and they are then put out of sight until nap / bedtime.

It hasn't affected his speech either, complete opposite - he doesn't shut up!!! also been to dentist and it hasn't affected his teeth either.
    So i'm in no hurry to make him give them up for nap times
    xx
  • Isabelle (2) still has hers for nap time and bedtime and very occasionally if she is extremely upset or ill. We have a dummy box in her room and we get her to pick a dummy when she gets into bed for her sleep and then ask her to put it back in the box when she wakes.

I would like to get rid of them completely soon but I know she needs them when she is teething and she hasn't quite got all her teeth yet so we might wait till the last couple have come through.

It hasn't affected her speech in anyway, she is quite advanced with her talking and doesn't stop coming out with new things!
  • Skye is 18 months and we got rid of hers 3 months back now. I went for the full on cold turkey approach, mean mummy!
    The first month was pretty hellish at nap times, but she slept so much better at night without me getting up to give it to her that I stuck with it. 3 months on she naps with no more than a few minutes of crying...I thought they were supposed to get over taking it away much quicker than this LOL?!
  • Lily (nearly 22mths) still has hers and I have no intention of getting rid any time soon especially with baby due any day...think it would be mean!She has 4 but they are all kept in the same place and when she has her nap and gets ready for bed she is allowed to choose the one she wants. I rarely take one with me if we are going out as she knows they are just for sleep. Her speech definitely hasn't been affected either and she doesn't really cry out for her dummy when she is asleep. I think maybe once baby is here and we are settled- perhaps after her 2nd birthday we might give it a try as I think she will have a better understanding of her being a big girl then and we can replace her dummies with a treat that she will enjoy.xxx
  • only for bedtime n naps now, like ILMG2, her baby sister is due very soon, ive managed new bed, and no bottle now but dummy hmm ill wait a little
  • Evie is 2 in May and she has a dummy at bedtime and naptime. Also, if we go on a long car journey I let her have it as she will usually nod off then. She doesn't want it in the day unless she sees it somewhere.

I'm a bit panicky at the mo as we're down to 1 dummy-eek!- which is kept in her cot. I bought her these rings which link together ages ago and I clipped one to the cot and the dummy fastens onto it so I know where it is :lol:

Lily gave hers up as it fell out in the nigth and I couldn't find it, I just thought I'd leave her to it and she fell back asleep without it after 10 mins crying. She wasn't too bothered about it after that and she's never had one since. She doesn't take Evie's dummy either.

Neither of my girls have probs talking, in fact they are a pair of chatterboxes and never shut up, so I don't think it's done them any harm. Will probably take Evie's dummy away before she turns 3.
  • millie is 19months and has 2 dummies. they r kept in her bedroom as she only has them for bedtime or if we r going on a long car journey. she is very very good and will never put the dummy in her mouth unless u say she can so if she does find it lying around she will ask first if she can have it and if its not bedtime i tell her no and she will just give it to me without making any fuss she has only had it for bed since she was 12 months as i didnt want her to get to attached to it. i will get rid of it completley once she has more understanding, xxx
  • Archie is 18months and only has it in his bed for sleeping. And like Lara's Chloe he gets it in his pram if he's bored and having a wee paddy to himself. (funnily enough it's hubby that gives it to him more than me in our house too!)

If he's tired during the day he will go and get dummy and his comfort blanket out of cot and bring it to me. But if it's not nap/sleep time he's happy to give it back.

He used to have 3 dummies in his bed so he could always find one and settle back to sleep. In the last couple of weeks I've removed all but one and am thinking that tonight I might take it out of cot once he has gone to sleep.
    But I know if he wakes looking for it, cries and I have to go to him I'll give in and give him his dummy. lol. S x

[Modified by: SuzMcH on April 16, 2010 10:30 AM]

• Hi hun, Evie is 2 1/2 now, and she doesn't have hers anymore. I thought i would post though as i sorta of got rid of hers by accident! and It wasn't anything like i'd expected.

Evie was very attatched to her dummy from being just a few days old. From about 18-20months i began limiting her dummies to sleep/nap time and if she was just having a chill out and watching a dvd.

She would NOT go to bed without a dummy and it was the first thing she asked for when a bit tired. I expected an absolute battle of wills when i decided to ditch them.

Not long after turning 2, just before christmas she annoyed the living daylights out of me (im embarrased to say!) and kept asking for her dummy and promising she'd have a nap (she was exhausted) but she would sit with her dummy in and as soon as she felt her eyes closing would jump up and start playing. I was tired and couldnt deal with her fighting sleep, so threatened to bin her dummies. in the end I took all of the dummies, put them in the bin and explained to her she wouldn't have them again.... in all honesty it was a bit silly of me as a mummy and i did it out of anger more than anything.

But do you know what, on day one we had tears for 5mins before bed time, and the 2nd day a few moans and groans before nap time, but then she seemed to forget all about them. She just understood, and to my amazement was ok with it all! i couldnt believe it.

So just to sum up, cold turkey worked for us, and although all kids would react differently you may just get a pleasant suprise!

xx
  • we'd got rid of JJ's before our honeymoon but with him being poorly on holiday we ended up giving it to him and he's had it at bedtime a few nights since we've been back but that's all really x
  • Hey there. Just thought I should let you know that while dummies won't stop children talking, they can affect the actual speech sounds if overused. So, for example, in my clinic I see a lot of kids who can't make the 't' or 'd' sounds. This is because they haven't been able to move the tip of their tongue up to their teeth to make these sounds because the dummy has been in the way. So 'top' becomes 'cop', 'doll' is said as 'koll' etc. This shouldn't happen if dummy use is limited and used only for naps/as a soother. PLEASE, PLEASE NEVER LET YOUR CHILD TALK WITH A DUMMY IN THEIR MOUTHS. The waiting lists for speech and language therapy are long enough!! \x
  • Lily has never had a dummy. We tried one when she was little to help her settle at night but she would spit it out. She would cry lots but refused the dummy. She eventually took to a muslin and cuddled it. When she was little we wished she'd take it to help her settle but for some reason she hated it. I know this isn't what you originally asked, but thought I'd share my experience....I have found dummies in the book bags of children in my class before (5 and 6 year olds).
    xxx