Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Alright, who taught my boy to... *Update*

swear?? :lol:

Oscar's new words are s**t and gay. Not words in my day to day vocabulary, and he's only started saying them after my husband left for his new job so he's not to blame either (although both feature heavily in his speech at work - and only at work).

So own up, who did it?? Or please reassure me that he's just experimenting with sounds and they'll go once he's talking better? Please. I'm not reacting to them so he's not doing it for attention, it's just a shock to hear those words and I'm wary of taking him out in public :lol:

Finally worked out he's saying SHIFT!! :lol: Have realised how much I say it, particularly when driving, and I asked him to get a shift on when he was slowly walking across the landing while I was carrying a heavy basket and he repeated Sh*t. Glad to figure it out as I was getting paranoid that I was swearing more than I thought :lol:

[Modified by: Jemmajem on 23 November 2009 10:50:27 ]

Replies

• Not sure about s***, my dd says gay, but she's actually asking you ok? She says mummy gay, daddy gay, all gay.
    She also says f***, but that's her way of saying shrek. She pulls out the DVD saying f***, f***. Bless her

does he say them at anything in particular?
  • Not that I've noticed but they've only become clear this afternoon. I'll listen closer tomorrow and try and work it out. Hopefully he's trying out sounds or trying to say something else!
  • I'm sure that's what it will be, new sounds, playing with words. It's up to you but you could try asking him to repeat it, or say show mummy. I often ask my dd, just to make sure she's not actually 'swearing'
  • Well he's only just turned 1 so not sure those instructions would work, but he always suprises me. Yesterday I asked him to go find Billy baby (his doll) and bring him to mummy and he did! I'll try asking him to show me as I think that'll have more luck. Thanks!
  • Not me. And doubt it was Archie either. He's very clever though Jem, saying any words at all. Archie still just gives us meaningless babble. (when he's not poorly that is, I don't think I've heard a peep out of him all day today!) S x
  • Suz, hope Archie feels better soon.Poor boy. Oscar's got about 20 words. He doesn't use them correctly most of the time but certainly knows what each one means. Whenever I tell him No he always argues back Yes. He can repeat a couple of sentences too. This has all been in the past month so it's leaps and bounds once they've figured out those first stages xx
  • sorry but you have to have a giggle to yourself the first time they come out with it, usually more with embarrassment than it actually being funny. my lo started coming out with s**t after his dad kindly made a point of asking if he had done one in his nappy, it took a week to get him out of it, whenever he said it i wouldn't over react i would just correct him by saying poo.

then there's the time i stubbed my toe and cried out b*****d, and he spent the rest of the day saying it, but i changed it to basket so when he said i would just say basket and he quickly made the replacement.

now i must confess with my older 2, once they hit about 2 and a half and could thoroughly understand what i was saying i taught them all the swear words i could think of, then ended the sentence with i never ever want to hear you say any of the words. and to my joy they have never used them. i just didn't want my children coming out of school f-ing and blinding one day thinking they were normal words.
  • lol - oh dear!

DS2 used to say d*ck but meant 'this' so he used to point and say "d*ck" not good.

Hopefully hes just experimenting with sounds and will grow out of it soon. Hehehe! xx
  • Charlm you made me lol!!! Brilliant idea about all the swear words though, it's often the amusement/shock that makes them repeat them, so getting them out in the open seems like a good idea x
  • Double post sorry x

[Modified by: hayls on October 30, 2009 01:00 PM]

• Well the only "bad" word Charlotte has said is poo cos I ask her if she's poo'd when I smell a whiff!

I'm trying to get her to understand when she's poo'd for potty training. Not going well cos all she does is say poo poo poo all the time!
  • LOL my dd used to say f*** it when she was trying to say bucket .
    and my ds says s*** when he trys to say sit
  • Lol, my mum was telling me that my big bro used to sing the song from Chitty, chitty bang bang in his pushchair, except he couldn't quite get the Chitty bit right :lol:
    xx
  • ??????? lol, that's great news. My dd learnt moosh when she was going slowly or standing in a door way. It's scary what they pick up. So now I've got her to say moosh please