Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

He's hitting and biting me!

My lo is 14 months old and over the last couple of weeks he's started hitting and biting. Mainly me but sometimes my oh, sometimes my parents and sometimes even the poor dog. He also thinks it's dead funny to chuck toys at me or hit me with his toy hammers.
I know he means no harm but how do I go about trying to teach him that it's naughty to hurt me. I know he's only a baby but he sure can give a hard smack when he wants to!!
Vic xx:\?

Replies

• Options
    might sound mean but when my lo started to pull my hair i pulled hers not hard that it made her cry but hard enough to teach her it hurts also my 13 mnth old bangs her cup on the table spilling juice every were i say a firm no twice and if that doesnt work take it away then a few minutes later give it back and if she starts again i do the proses again they just need to learn that concequences to there actions xx good luck
  • Options
    HI, I have read that you need to explain why they shouldn't hit/ bite, say that it hurts and it's not nice to hurt people, you need to do it in a calm voice. With the biting you and lo can bit bits of bread etc to show the teeth mark patterns, this shows the damage teeth can do. At 14 months lo may be a bit young to understand this. It may also be attention seeking behaviour so you could just try ignoring it and pay lots of attention and give lo lots of praise when they are being 'good'.
  • Options
    my lo has started hitting me 2 hun, he is 16m old so dosnt really understand that it hurts ( how does one so small pack such a punch?) i have started to turn or walk away after saying no in a very firm voice, so far i think its working as he stops for a while, im hoping he soon stops altogether before i look like a battered mummy,lol xxx