Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

nappy/toilet question

Hi everyone, Maddie is 17months on Friday and for the last month or so she's been constantly pulling her nappy off (its summer and hot here so she usually has a nappy and shirt on). I've had to buy pull-ups so she cant undo the nappy, but now she's figure out that she can pull them down if she tries hard enough. If she's wearing pants she now pulls them down then her nappy (this is all if i'm not watching her - eg on my phone or watching tv while she's playing).'

I've been putting her on the toilet for a couple months now, not intending to toilet train, just the once a day before her shower because she always pees in the shower so i started putting her on the loo so she could get used to it in advance of toilet training (which i wasnt planning til she's 2).

Anyway so now i think she is too young to be 'trained' properly, but she is deifnitely old enough to know when she needs to go, as she pulls her nappy off, pats her belly (or as low as she can reach) and says "more?" which is her basic word for everything.

I guess what I want to ask is, how young can you train babies? (not talking about EC here, only from nappies to toilet after 1year). Should I start? My mum says I was trained by 14months, but I would always say "poo" and need a nappy on to do one (but woudl stay in undies all day and go to the loo for a number one).

Replies

• hi tilly, hayden same age as maddie as you know and the only reason he sits on a potty is because i have one in my house for his big cousin.(he is so cute cause he always wants to "read" a book or mag when sitting on it!!!) any time he has done anything in it it has been an absolute flook! but aslong as he is happy to sit on it and when he produces something he gets lots of praise i am happy for him to take his time. Every child is different and having toilet trained quite a few through my work , i have found patience and praise is what is needed. Oh and LOTS of spare pants! if it is safe to could she go for a spell of time nappy less and see if she does realise when she needs to pee or poop?
  • Yeah Fiona she has nappy free time probably every second day in the afternoon when i take her in the backyard for an hour or two. If she's nappy free she just stops, does her wee, then looks up and starts patting herself as if to say "mum lookk i did it!" lol. But if she has her nappy on she will pat herself then ill take her to the loo and she does a wee (so not sure if she'd already let some go and thats what made her realise she needed to go, or if she had held on).

Ah well. I think I'll just continue as I am now, and make her go every now and then, but not really 'train' her til she's 2 (no way am I taking just-trained baby on a 20-hour fligth to visit you all LOL).

Thanks for the replies!
  • You say you put her on the toliet, do you have a potty?
    When she stops in the back yard and you know she is going to wee, pop a potty underneath her to try and encourage her that the potty/toilet is where the wee needs to go.

My dd is 21months, about 3 weeks ago we brought her a potty, and stt her on it in the bathroom, before and after bath, before bed etc just to get her used to it. I would also say can you do a wee wee. I hadnt planned to potty train her until after her 2nd birthday in may. I was thinking nappy free in the summer would be a better option.

however, a fortnight ago she would lift her skirt up and hold her nappy. I brought her a potty chair for downstairs as you can take the insert out. She now says wee wee, whether its for a wee oir a fart bless her! whenever she says it I put her on the potty, some days she goes `1 in it, whereas other times she ahs been 3-4 times. Its early days, but im just following her.

Sounds like you lo maybe ready to potty train her. Like the others said, children do it at different ages. A firned of mine potty trained her son at around 16months as he always did a poo at the same time everyday. I would put her on the potty every time she indicates she wants to go, like you say you do. When you put her on the potty, check her nappy if its wet. This will tell you if she has held it in, or like you say realised she needs to go. You can always leaver her in pull ups to save any accidents. When it comes to flying, I would jsut put her in a nappy, and if she asks for the toilet you just take her. Saves any wet patches !
  • I don't have a potty for Maddie yet; I've just been racing her to the toilet in the house. I should get one soon though. She always does a wee (or at least tries really hard) if I ghold her over the toilet and say "ok do a wee" - one time she ripped her naoppy off and I said "Maddie do you need to do a wee?" and the second I said "wee" she went then and there! it was like she was waiting for me to put her on the loo but once i said the magic word she just let it go! lol!

Yeah, it's summer here (australia), so thats why she's been nappy free so often lately. It's VERY hot here. The only thing with pull-ups is they are SO expensive compared to the nappies I usually get, so I've been only using pull-ups if she's wearing a dress (so that its harder for her to take the nappy off).

Ah well..... hopefully by this time next year we'll be saying goodbye to nappies!
    Thanks xxx