Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What age do they start playing on their own?

Hi, my lo is 13 months and won't play on his own or keep himself occupied for more than 5 minutes so I was wondering when your lo's started playing on their own? I'm desperate for a bit of a break as I'm pregnant and exhausted. I was wondering if it's easier when they start walking on their own? At the moment he wants me to walk him around holding his hand all day! x

[Modified by: missymoo on 24 September 2008 08:36:29 ]

Replies

• Its sooooooooo much harder when they walk on the????r own!!!!
  • Oh don't...really?! It's killing me stooping down to walk him around all day..he doesn't want to do anything else!
  • Hi Missymoo

I can't really help much but totally sympathise. Emilia is just coming up to a year old and all she wants to do is walk round holding my hands and I am pregnant too. This has been going on for over a month. It is totally exhausting and I so look forward to her nap times so I can get on a bit.

I read on the baby forum about a treasure basket and I made one up for Emilia. It keeps them amused for about 1/2 hour so it's worth ago. Google 'treasure basket' and it will tell you more.
  • hiya. sounds like your having a hard time, i am very lucky in that my daughter is nearly 13months and has been walking since before she was one. she has always been independent and wouldnt let you hold her hand wen she was trying to walk she just wanted to do it on her own, no matter how long it took or how many times she fell! lol

She's always played quite happily on her own too with her toys, which i found great wen i was pregnant too.

hope things get easier for ya image
  • I never d????d the hold????ng hands th????ng w????th L????am - I just let h????m walk around the furn????ture and then one day he let go. Have you tr????ed propp????ng LO up aga????nst a wall or someth????ng and encourag????ng them to walk to you to encourage balance. Its harder as you need eyes ????n the back of your head - Once they learn they are off!!! And then the cl????mb????ng starts!

I am sure you w????ll do fab - It must be hard to be heav????ly pregnant and look????ng after an act????ve LO.

L????am ????s 15 months now and has been walk????ng for 5 months. He ????s steady on h????s feet now so I just let h????m wander and explore on h????s own - Always watch????ng h????m of course.
  • Hi

I think its much easier now Reece is walking rather than crawling or walking holding my hands, but he was a late crawler (10 months) and walker (15 months). He is nearly 19 months now and has only recently started playing alone say looking at a book or pushing cars about but only for about 10 mins (15 max). Is there anything else that will keep your little one entertained? Reece will sit on my knee for a good half hour reading if he is in the mood. Also if I am trying to cook, the thing that I have found keeps him quiet for ages is giving him an onion! He spends an age messing with the skin. Plus In the night garden, big cook little cook or balamory have him mesmorised if i am desperate. Hope it gets easier for you x
  • Thanks everyone for your replies. I really do want him to walk on his own asap but he's not having it..will try standing him against a wall but normally when oh and I try and encourage him to walk between us he flops to his knees and crawls to try and grab our hands.

Bec & Emi, glad to hear someone else is in the same boat (i mean that in the nicest possible way!) How many weeks pregnant are you? I'm only 17 but I don't feel I'm going to get that energetic/glowing stage I did first time around. Looked up the treasure boxes so will give that a go.
    Joannemarie, thats funny about the onion..and since I'm desperate I'm going to try that too..hope he doesn't get onion juice in his eyes! x