Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

toddlers with new babies

hi all

i have a 2 year old daughter and i am expecting another baby i don't know if i will be able to cope as my partner is disabled he can still do some things but he can carry my daughter or run after her so i will have to look after both.

but the main problem is a don't know how my daughter is going to react to the new baby has any one got any advice on how i can help her when the baby comes.

thanks.

Replies

• Hiya, congratulations on your pregnancy hope you're feeling well!

My little girl was one when I had my second and I've had no probs with her at all. I think with your daughter being that bit older she may find it a bit harder. Have you looked at books with her about babies? And a present from the baby to the older child sometimes help.

As for coping with two I'm sure you'll do a great job! It can be hard work at times but you'll soon find the best way to get things done.

Good luck.

xxx
  • Hi my daughter was 20 months when my son was born so a bit younger than you little will be. She was very good really although it did take a couple of months to realise that a)he wasn't a doll and b)that he was here to stay, He's 8 months old now and she totally adores him and keeps saying "mummy have more babies in your tummy please!!" Involving your daughter as much as possible in the pregnancy and getting her excited about the arrival is a good idea. Also when people come to visit after the birth get them to greet her first and ask her if they can look at her new brother/ sister so she feels responsible and proud. Let her help where she wants to with dressing and bathing baby - i found a doll helpful so she could just copy what i was doing at times when she wanted to get too involved with dirty nappies - honestly i was amazed how facinated she was with pooey nappies! A couple of good books i got were: "Our New Baby" which is a Dorling Kindersley book and also "There's A House Inside My Mummy" by Giles Andreae which is really fun, Try not to worry about how you will cope i had similar worries but you have to be pragmatic, don't put pressure on yourself to be perfect and above all try to keep your sense of humour.
    Best Wishes jojomummy xxxxxxxxx