Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

When did your lo stop napping altogether? (also in PS)

My lo will be 3 next month and has been having a 1.5-2 hour nap in bed at around 11 everyday. Recently, he's been really hard to get to bed, kicking up a fuss and sometimes sleeping, sometimes not. He does seem tired without it, but I'm wondering if it's time to stop trying. I hate to see him struggling from being tired during the day, but would he quickly get used to it? I'm kind of thinking he still needs a nap and is just being a typical defiant toddler, but I'm finding it so stressful trying to get him to bed (and praying that he'll go!) that I wonder if it's worth it.

Just to add, he wouldn't sleep in the car, or on the sofa etc.

When did your lo's stop napping? And did they quickly get used to it? Did you..lol?!

Replies

• Options
    my lo stopped napping totally when he was about 26/27 months so 2 and a bit - he is now 2 and a half and he is still tired and grumpy by the end of the day adn he goes to bed much earlier now than he used to but there is NO getting him to sleep in the day!
  • Options
    my boy will be 3 at end of September and still has a nap late morning from 1 - 2 hours.
    He is due to start a preschool later this year tho and they don't have facilities so not sure what he'll be like by then!! his nursery at the moment has ready beds so not an issue.
  • Options
    my lo stopped napping in the new year when he was 2 years 2 months. he does fall asleep in the car or buggy a couple of times a week from 3pm onwards. He uses this as catch up I think! He then goes to bed and straight to sleep at 7pm.

xxx
  • Options
    I can't remember when DS stopped napping, he's now 5 but I think it must've been just before he turned 3 as I don't remember him napping when DD was born lol! DD is now 2yrs4 months and still sleeps for 2hours just after lunch. She usually sleeps 12 hours at night too. She can go without a nap, if we're out and about she'll cat nap but I can really tell the difference come bedtime. I'll be encouraging the carrying on of napping for as long as poss~quite like the 2 hours to myself lol!
    Xx
  • Options
    Poppy stopped napping at about 17mths, she will fall asleep occasionally if in the car for longer than half hour but that's about it! I just gave up fighting with her trying to make her sleep when she clearly didn't need it!
  • Options
    Kara will be 3 in September and still has about 1-1/2 hours around 11am. However this last few days these naps have been getting shorter so I would say she will give them up very soon. She is going to playgroup in September so I am sure that will be the end of them anyway.
  • Options
    my DS was 3 in june and he will have a nap if he wants,i let him decide if hes tired or not and if he is he just gets on the couch for a nap,hes even slept on the dining room floor rug before :lol: i thought it had went offy quiet lol,he gets up at 6-6.30 and goes to bed about 8

i could never force him to have a sleep,ive tried to let him understand the signs and if he wants to sleep he knows he can,he will only snooze for about an hour tho

i would maybe let him stay awake and watch and see the signs of him being sleepy and then suggest a sleep x
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies. Seems that most have almost cut out napping by 3 years. Colabottle, like you I would like to encourage the nap for as long as possible and cherish having that time to myself (my daughter also naps at the same time). But, looks like I might have to face up to the fact that it could be the end of an era napwise!

The last few days he has been reluctant to go to bed but happy once in it and slept anything from half and hour to one and a half. So, I'll keep putting him down for a while but not stress too much about it. We're actually moving back to the UK on Monday so it will be a big upheavel and I'm sure everything will change then anyway.

Claire a belle, shame the pre school doesn't have beds. I don't think they normally do. my lo is also starting pre-school in september but it's from 8.15- 11.15 so wouldn't be an issue.

Grudie, that is so great that you have such a flexible routine with your lo. I would be happy with that at this stage, but he's such a stubborn little monkey, I'm not sure I could pull it off!

Thanks again. x
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies. Seems that most have almost cut out napping by 3 years. Colabottle, like you I would like to encourage the nap for as long as possible and cherish having that time to myself (my daughter also naps at the same time). But, looks like I might have to face up to the fact that it could be the end of an era napwise!

The last few days he has been reluctant to go to bed but happy once in it and slept anything from half and hour to one and a half. So, I'll keep putting him down for a while but not stress too much about it. We're actually moving back to the UK on Monday so it will be a big upheavel and I'm sure everything will change then anyway.

Claire a belle, shame the pre school doesn't have beds. I don't think they normally do. my lo is also starting pre-school in september but it's from 8.15- 11.15 so wouldn't be an issue.

Grudie, that is so great that you have such a flexible routine with your lo. I would be happy with that at this stage, but he's such a stubborn little monkey, I'm not sure I could pull it off!

Thanks again. x
  • Options
    i stopped mine nappin at 2 years as they start nursery at 2 here! it was a struggle keeping him awake the first few weeks but after that he was fine and he gets more sleap now x