Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Can a 13mth old be naughty?

Robert is 13mths old and the past couple of weeks he's turned into a real terror, he attends nursery one morning a week (my blissful me time) and has done since he was 10mths old. Staff there report no problems about his behaviour, yet at home he's started throwing tantrums when I say no or he cant have something. He arches his back and flails about on the floor screaming.

He's also started hitting me in the face with his hands or his toys. I've tried saying no and he laughs or smiles! I'm going to try ignoring this behaviour as that doesn't seem to be working. My hubby suggested tapping (literally a small tap not a smack) him on the hands-but I'm not sure if he's a little young?

If he gets frustrated with his toys, he will throw them across the room and on occasion at the tv.

I was getting him dressed this morning, which he hates, and as I was putting his arm through the sleeve he tried to bite me on my hand. He also tried to bite hubby a couple of days ago when hubby told him no.

I'm starting to think he's the devil child image I didn't expect this behaviour so soon. He can be a lovely placid little boy, he gets plenty of attention and love, he just seems to have turned into an absolute terror.

Nothing has changed at home, I'm 19wks pregnant and he will kiss my tummy when I point and say baby but he doesn't understand, his sleeping or feeding pattern hasn't changed and we attend waterbabies and rhythm time every week and meet up with 2 other babies once every 2 weeks so he isn't sat in front of cbeebies every day.

Is it normal or should I be worried?
Feel like a terrible mum at the minute :cry:

Replies

• Sounds normal to me :lol:

Oscar's almost 14 months and we've been having tantrums since he was 9 months and they've escalated in the last month. I think they're at the age when they know what they want or don't want but can't tell us so it's coming out physically instead.

Oscar gets a tap on the hand if he's doing something dangerous and he isn't responding to 'No'. But I wouldn't hit him for hitting or biting me as I don't believe in responding to violence with violence.

Hth - my little man's just woken so gotta go xx
  • it sounds totally normal to me!fin is 18months now and 'terrible 2s!' my butt. fin is showered in love and attention, goes to nursery twice a week and no probs there.i think they are just testing boundaries and it seems like everything they want they arent allowed which must be frustrating for them. we have just ignored the behaviour and it seems to bring him round. fin has also started holding his breath when he has tantrums which is scary but my mum assures me that its normal and hel grow out of it!
    hth.xxx
  • replied on baby hun. xxx
  • Wow, it's amazing how similar they all are. You only think it's happening to you until you read a post like this.

Archie is 14 months and like your lo showered with love and affection by everyone. He goes to a childminder and is looked after by granny while I work. Both say he is wonderful.
    When we visit friends houses and he plays with theit children my friends cannot tell me enough what a good little boy I have.

Yet this weekend I can only describe him as a little terror. He has intermitently over the last few weeks been having the odd tantrum but the last 48hrs he has bitten me, pulled my hair, grabbed daddy's glasses off face and thrown them on floor. All of this repeatedly.

The only thing he wants to do with his toys is thrown them on the floor. He will bring me a book and ask to read but get frustrated and stop listening after 3 pages.

Also he has started being awful with food. Refusing everything by spoon. And everything else, even guaranteed winners like toast, are played with and chewed up and spat out.

I've been sitting here asking hubby what I've done wrong and why is he behaving like this. What can I do to change it etc.

I think what I'm hearing from this post and the one on baby, is that it's normal and it's a part of growing up. God I hope so. Hope I didn't hijack your post with writing all my/lo's issues down but I think it helped me put into perspective. S x
  • Sounds normal to me too! J had tantrums for about 2 months he used to bang his head on the floor, it sounds bad but he would do it so softly so as not to actually hurt himself it really wasnt at all. They stopped all of a sudden at 16 months and not seen one in about 3 weeks now. Heres hoping that was the terrible two over and done with early ( wishful thinking!)
  • Yes they can!