Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Toddler biting baby sibling and other children

I'm at my wits end with my 25 month old daughter. She has gone through phases over the last year of biting other children, but recently this has go much worse. We now have a 3 month old daughter as well, and we are currently seeing some really nasty behaviour. Over the last week, every time she's been at nursery she's bitten about 4 or 5 children each day, and has also been biting her baby sister on her hand, arm and this week her nose, despite me trying to be ultra vigilant.

We are trying to discipline her by using a naughty step and now we are also stopping her bedtime story if she bites, but I'm not convinced this is having the desired effect. She is otherwise lovely despite fairly typical headstrong toddler behaviour and the odd tantrum, but she's getting a bit of a reputation and I'm struggling to hold it together with her when she has been biting her baby sister, as I find it so upsetting, and I hate her seeing me cry.....

Has anyone else had similar experiences, and if so how did you deal with it?

Any help would be really appreciated as I don't know what to do next........

Thank you,

xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi i have 2 sons and the eldest Leo is 22 months and the youngest James has just turned 1 and Leo has started trying to bite James when he gets mad and frustrated or they fight over something and tries to bite us aswell, i try not to give the behaviour to much attention as that encourages it but i tell him off firmly and sit him on my knee and try to explain its naughty to bite baba as thats what he refers to James as, then i try to forget about it and its getting better but he does still try, i try not to be to harsh as Leo is still little himself and i thinks its a way of taking out there frustrations they just have to learn its naughty and not acceptable.

I hoe this helps a little as you sound really fed up but it is probably a phase she is going throught (those dreaded words lol) and it will get better but theres not much advice i can give just didnt want to r&r.Hope you get it sorted out take care.
    vikki xx
  • Options
    I used to do this to my brother! It was shear jealousy, I felt so put out that another little person was taking my mum's attention. I would bite every chance I had as long as my mum wasn't watching, quite often my mum woudn't know why he was crying until she found the bite mark!!! I think I was like this for the first 6 months then finally accepted my little brother and things got better. I didn't bite other children tho. It wasn't attention seeking tho because I can remember doing it when my mum wasn't in the room and running and hiding.

Good luck! And I hope she grows out of it soon.
  • Options
    Im lucky and have not really had an issue with this except my 3 year old being bitten at a party then trying it on his brother.

My friend had an issue with her daughter and she bit her back. Its maybe not ideal but she did it and her daughter never bit anyone after that!! Its not very PC but worked for her.

Gemm x