Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Toddler room ideas and pics!!

Hi girls,

I hope you're all well!

Ruby's bed is coming on Friday so I am in the process of changing her room from nursery to big girls room!
I have no idea where to start with decorating it though.

Has anyone else redecorated or re-themed (?!) their babies room from a nursery?

If so i'd really appreciate any ideas, tips and especially photos if you have taken any!

Thank you so much,

Amy xxxx

Replies

• I have sort of changed Charlotte's room into a big girl's room but only changed bed covers and curtains.

Whenever no2 comes along we will move her beforehand into the other spare room. My plan is to buy some personalised bunting and put it on the wall. I also bought a duvet cover from John Lewis in their sale with a fairy on it so may go for a fairy type theme? Have you looked on the Next website? They have some lovely things for girls rooms. May be a bit expensive but you could always look on ebay for something similar. Not sure if I've helped you at all?!
  • Am on the look out for ideas as we are planning on moving Lily into the smaller room before baby number 2 arrives in May- thinking of redecorating Jan or Feb so she has plenty of time to get used to her new room. Hubby wanted to go ITNG theme but I think we should go more girlie like your fairy idea ccbmommy because it could be she doesn't like ITNG in another year or so lol. I have a next directory and like some of the ideas in there but think a trip to ikea might be in order.x
  • We didn't bother with a nursery lol - we figured he'd outgrow it too quickly and we thought half the nursery themed things were a bit freaky.

We did cole's walls in sky blue (well..I still have to finish repainting - the first colour wasn't right so i repainted lol!), carpet and curtains are dark blue and one room has a mural on it - the mural has a tree, castle, hills and path to castle, and a dragon in the sky and the sky now matches the walls - but its more mottled and layered colourst han the walls. Hubby and a friend did the mural - it still needs a bit of finishing but my friend moved away and we haven't had time. We are actually hopefully going to get it finally finished next month. We figured toot hat when he grew out of it or wanted it changing it'd be easy to repaint the walls or just paint over the mural.
  • My girls room used to be yellow but I changed it to pink after I had Evie. So they have pink walls and a yellow wooden built in wardrobe, then Lily has a pink bed and Evie has a cot. There are some nursery type pictures hanging up too. I did it this way cos I thought it was more like a 'blank canvas' and as they get older I can add different bedding and curtains etc and a bunk bed. At the mo their bedding doesn't match anything!

Sometimes I think a theme can get a little OTT, esp with fads like Tv prgrammes. Though the rooms look great, I just imagine the kids might not like same things in a year or 2, so I would keep a theme to things that can be changed easily and fairly cheaply like bedding and pictures and maybe a rug.

If I had more space in the girls room I'd love to get a couple of those beanbag chairs, a big snuggly rug and a bookcase, but their room is tiny so that will have to wait til we move!

xxx
  • My girls room used to be yellow but I changed it to pink after I had Evie. So they have pink walls and a yellow wooden built in wardrobe, then Lily has a pink bed and Evie has a cot. There are some nursery type pictures hanging up too. I did it this way cos I thought it was more like a 'blank canvas' and as they get older I can add different bedding and curtains etc and a bunk bed. At the mo their bedding doesn't match anything!

Sometimes I think a theme can get a little OTT, esp with fads like Tv prgrammes. Though the rooms look great, I just imagine the kids might not like same things in a year or 2, so I would keep a theme to things that can be changed easily and fairly cheaply like bedding and pictures and maybe a rug.

If I had more space in the girls room I'd love to get a couple of those beanbag chairs, a big snuggly rug and a bookcase, but their room is tiny so that will have to wait til we move!

xxx
  • When my DS moved into his new bed we simply changed the curtains bedding and lampshade. I was lucky enough to find a border that fit over his nursery one and still fit with the colours we'd used in the nursery. We went for cars/trains/boats border that will last him forever I think as little boys seem to never grow out of loving machines! We kept away from TV themes cos, as some others have said, they change their minds about these things overnight. If you want to go with ITNG why not keep the walls plain and do it with the duvet covers and maybe frame some pictures out of the magazine for the walls. These can all be change really easily.
  • Lily moved into the bigger room in the summer. We have one wall painted pink with bunting I got from the John Lewis sale on that wall and then the other three walls are painted cream. She has got the roundabout curtains ,bedding and lampshade from Mamas and Papas but that's about it. The furniture is a mish mash as we couldn't find any we really liked at the time.
    xx
  • i love vertbaudet they have some gorgeous kids stuff in there!

i also love the mural wall stickers that you can peel off and reapply really easily, rio has dinosaur ones! jojo maman bebe do some nice ones but they are a bit pricey im sure other places do similar for less. it saves on constant re-decorating as they grow (or could just be me being lazy :lol: )
  • Thank you all for your advice!
    I LOVE vertbaudet!

We decided on a selection from Laura Ashley in the end. Was going to go for Bella Butterfly but i've always loved the Abbeville fabric, so I made her curtains out of that and also some cushions, painted one wall in Peony and went for the Bella Butterfly Quilt. I've hung some bunting of various fabrics from the pink Laura Ashley range. It's all come together beautifully and i'm so pleased!!

Thank you again,

Amy xxx