Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Mummies with 2 or more

Hope you don't think I'm being too cheeky! But considering ttc baby no2 and was wondering how much roughly does it cost with 2 instead of just the 1? Don't want to stretch finances too much so looking at all finances before.

Replies

• If you can re use all your baby stuff then it should be fairly cheap. You might also get more tax credits and obviously more child benefit to help.

You will have the added mouth to feed but if you BF then that is free! TBH you can spend as little or as much as you want.

I wouldn't say its double to cost as you can pass things down/share things.

When they are older you will need shoes, clothes, school uniform etc for 2 so that does add up.

Good luck with whatever you decide..

dxxx
  • I think it depends on the age gap you'll have between them.

I've got 19 months between my two and it was expensive. I needed a decent/suitable double pushchair, although I had cot, I had to buy a single bed and matress for my son. I had a little girl so I ended up needing all different coloured clothes also born in a different season. I had sold old car seat, so had to purchase a new one, and then will need another 9month-4year car sear as son won't be out of his. Couldn't breastfeed so had to buy all new bottles, I also have two children in nappies! I haven't had to buy new bedding, toys, rockers, playgyms etc.

But at the end of the day its worth it!
  • Hi hun, I found baby no.2 really cheap - they were both boys, and so no.2 just had all the same stuff as no.1!

We got ds1 (2yrs 7mths) into a toddler bed before new baby arrived - luckily he loved it! We just bought a new mattress for the moses basket and a double buggy (we only spent about ??100 and it was fine).

He used the same clothes, moses basket, cot, bedding, changing mat, car seat, pushchair (single), highchair, toys etc etc! We got given lots of new clothes for him as gifts when he was born as well - so he did have some new things image

Then of course we had baby no 3 - who was a girl - and I just had to go out and tons of pink lol!! So baby 3 was far more expensive lol!

One other purchase we made was a buggy board - which was really good actually, for when we wanted to use the single pushchair.

Hope this helps.

xx
  • There is 17 months between my two (both boys) and I haven't found it too expensive at all. We got a double buggy but to be honest haven't used it as much as we expected, I used the baby bjorn carrier that I had from my first lo for ages so was able to use the old single pushchair for my toddler. My first lo was in a bed at 15 months so we used the old cot for the new baby. My two were born at different seasons but I am lucky I have lots of friends with los so we all share kids clothes around each other, and if you do buy stuff you can get some real bargains in the sale.
    I bought new bottess, but again got those in the sale so not too bad. So main cost is formula (if you are bottle feeding) and nappies. My eldest is 2 years 4 months now and I am just starting potty training so hopeully I will only have one in nappies soon! x
  • Thank you all for replying!

By the sounds of your responses it isn't going to be as expensive as i was thinking which is great! My lo is just over 2 1/2 and really would like to start trying soon so the age gap isn't too huge! Still got car seat, moses basket, etc so main expenses would prob be the food shopping but that won't be a big problem. Thank you all for replying and maybe have some news for you soon....
  • im expecting baby No 3.
    There is 2 1/2 yrs between our 2 boys. I find that its now that things are costing more now our youngest is eating proper meals etc and eldest at school (uniform, shoes etc).
    TBH we couldnt rly use alot of jacks (eldest) stuff for olly as jack was january and olly july and found that outfits, coats etc were all 6 months or so out on size for the time of year.
    I am due our 3rd boy in july again so will def be able to reuse all of ollys things then.
    Its silly stuff like olly will be going into a bed soon. And although we are very VERY lucky to have the bunks beds that me and my little bro had when we were little, we now need to buy another matress and duvet etc etc. They usually are one off, every blue moon payments tho.
    Plus now i have no income so poor hubby is the only wage bringer so it is harder. And when i look back, once baby is out of nappies it will have bn roughly 7 years of buying nappies solid.
    We tend to stock up on them tho when on offer.

Sorry ive totally rambled.
    Think you always manage, boys never go without ever or want for anything.
  • I have 26 months btw my boys and tbh so far not found it much more expensive. We reused all the "big" stuff, moses basket, cot, pram, carseat etc and just bought new mattresses. I have family with similar aged children and we've all passed clothes onto each other (I'm currently sorting through2 bin bags full of clothes sil dropped off today lol) I know what I used from last time too so I haven't wasted money on items that will hardly get used lol.
    I got a buggy board and that has been worth every penny and a lot cheaper than a double buggy, ( we bought a double off a friend for ??30 and it doesn't fit in the car lol)

Our only real extra expense so far is about ??15 per week on milk & nappies but the extra child benefit we get covers that. It may be differnent when we having to buy double the shoes, school uniforms etc though lol