Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

ADHD linked with ventouse delivery????

Hi my daughter is 2 and a half and can be a right nightmare she doesnt sleep and when i say this she is up at 7 in the morning and we not go to sleep until midnight without having a sleep in the day, she does not concentrate on anything for too long she is quite hyperactive even at midnight she will be running round in circles. Dont get me wrong she is a happy child we just call her crazy.

We tried everything on the advise of hv we are careful with foods we give her, when she does eat but nothing seems to work. My hv has been to see us a few times regarding this as she says she does seem more hyperactive than kids her age.

She has now suggested that it may be the start of adhd but they wont be able to diagnose it until she is around 4 and at nursery/school.

Anyway when talking to others about this and reading up on stuff i have found a lot of people suggest a link between children with adhd and a ventouse delivery. Well I had a traumatic ventouse delivery with her and she was left with heavy brusing and cuts on her scull. It has now got me thinking wether it is linked. My youngest who is only 10 months had ventouse too but it wasnt traumatic like my first and her head was fine after and even as babies she is far more contented than my first was.

I am writing this to see if anyone else has heard of this link or anyone going through a similar thing, I want to look into any treatments i could go through to lessen the risk of it being adhd, maybe head massage or something.

Any advice appreciated.
xx

Replies

• hi,
    your daughter sounds exactly like mine! I love her to bits but she is a right handful sometimes. I have a friend who's son has been diagnosed with ADHD and he says my daughter behaves exactly like his son did at that age (she is 5 in march) Ive had my suspisions she has got ADHD for a long while. She is at school now and they have made comments on how she is into everything not doing 1 thing for longer than a couple of minutes and she has problems paying attention and listening to what she is being told. Im waiting to see if the school say anything about her having it.
    I dont know what to do about it really, my friends son is on ritalin and goes to a place where he plays in a room and people monitor his behaviour. I dont really like the idea of this tbh and i definatley dont want her doping up (not being critical of anyone who does choose medication by the way)
    I guess i dont want her growing up feeling like she is different. I think also i may be having problems coming to terms with the fact she may have this, if im truthful i find it quite scary!
    Regarding your ventouse thing, i did not have an assisted delivery. My friends son was not born by ventouse either.
    xx
  • hi my stepson who is 16 has had adhd since diag at 6 he is also on ritalin has been for years and hes like a stick insect although he eats like a horse he has behavioural problems trouble with police etc anyway his mother had natural delivery no help my oh and his brother dont have it and neither did any of other family members my nephew from oh family has it also and my oh thinks our son nearly 20mnths is also showing signs of having it but he cant get checked either till nearier school age. with ritalin tablets it can make children wet the bed my oh has to get son up in middle of night for toilet when hes still sleeping and he still wets bed occasionally when he stays over and hes 16 its an affect of the drug. none of oh 2girls from same prev have it only seems to be the boys for some reason. its a shame they wont diag it early than school age but personally dont see it be linked to vent delivery

tracey x
  • Hi all thanks for all your advice. I agree that it should be diagnosed earlier if they think my daughter has it now why not help with something. I didnt think it would be linked but just saw it a few places and a few people mentioned it but i think its one of them things where they try and place statistics together put 2 and 2 together and get 6!! I dont think they really know.

Its just the not knowing now and doing the best i can.

Thanks for all your help
    xxxxx
  • my son is 18 months & was delivered by ventouse after a 28 hour labour. he is starting to be quite a handful & is always on the go. i don't really know other people who have children of the same age so i can't really compare. but when i have gone to baby group, he seems to be the only one, running around like a headless chicken, throwing things & pushing chairs/tables about. i'm not worried at the moment as i assume this is just the toddler time starting, he has started to become violent & bites me & hits me too. he now struggles getting into the carseat & fights us when we try to change his nappy, he totally hates it. will keep any eye on him & may mention this to the HV next time i see her. thanks for the heads up. xx