Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

"playing" with himself!!

My lo is 26 months old. For the last few weeks whenever he goes to bed or goes down for a nap he has started to stick his hand in his nappy and sleep like that. Obv all boys love to have a fiddle, lol, but when he's like that all night his hands really smell by the morning and he's usually managed to move his nappy and his vest and bed covers are soaked.
We got him an all in one pj suit but he still manages to get his hands down there. We put him back in his sleeping bag but again he still manages to get in there.
I'm washing his bed covers every day and he's waking up smelling of wee which can't be very nice.
I'm hoping he'll just grow out of it but just wondered if anyone had any ideas in the meantime?

Thanks.

Vic xxxx

Replies

• Sorry, but this made me laugh. I doubt he will grow out of it, I think boys worry that it might fall off if they dont hold it all night!

Being serious though, what about a body suit vest? I think they sell them up to age 3 in M&S. I dont know how he could get into one of those. Or once he is asleep just moving his hand way, and hope that it doesnt sneak back in there.

I remember at school our R.E teacher (its probally not even called that these days) saying that the church encourages children to sleep with their hands in the prayer posistion under their heads or pillows to discourage them from fiddling with themselves. It still makes me laugh! Jo x
  • Excellent. I'll check out our local churches!! lol
  • lol - made me laugh too! i agree vests! or u could try puttin a nappy on back to front on top of his nappy - might be harder to get in there!? xx
  • Hi,

They were talking about toddlers touching their 'bits' on The Wright Stuff the other morning, my lo is only 13 months old but being a boy I pricked my ears up as I am sure it will happen at some point lol!

The psychologist on there said it was perfectly normal, and to tell your lo that it is their private area and to be careful with it. She also said that if it was persistant to give their 'bits' a check out in case they have a yeast infection as it could be that they are a bi irritated. So it may be worth having a look when he has a bath, and maybe asking him if he is sore when you see him touching himself.

Other than that the body vest sounds like a good idea! Might also be a good time to consider starting to potty training him as although that wouldn't solve the smelly hands problem it would at least hopefully eventually mean you don't have as much washing to do!

Good luck!! xx