Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Any advice please it would be really really appreciated!

Hia Girls,

Could any of you help me. I've just given birth to my son in the most traumatic of circumstances, I had placent previa which kept me in hospital a week then had an emergency section at 35 wks and my son was in the Neonatal unit for 17 days. All the while my beautiful 18mth old daughter has had to put up with being at the hospital everyday and being left at her grans or my sisters and watch her mummy go through a stream of emotions. Before this I had left her maybe 4 times in the whole time I've had her which brings me to the problem. She really seems to have gone very naughty smacking out all the time, throwing dirty looks at us and when the midwife came round this morning she screamed at her. Her gran came round the other day and she went ballistic. She is however being really lovely with her brother. So I am confused as to whether its jealousy, anger at all the confusion we've been through or just the terrible twos early. What do you think and any ideas on how I can tackle this? I have tried to reassure her with loads of loves and kisses and keeping her involved but sometimes she just doesn't want to know. Help please if you have any?xxxx

Replies

• poor you - you've had a rough time of it haven't you. Your little girl is still only very young and probably doesn't know what she is feeling herself so you will probably never work out exactly what the problem is. But its pretty clear she's had a hard time herself recently and its bound to have an affect on her. Just having a new baby brother or sister is enough to throw most children out of kilter for a while without all the extra your little girl has gone through too. Your doing right by reassuring her and involving her as much as you can. I always tried to make sure I didn't rush to pick up baby when he woke or cried if I was busy reading or playing with one of the older ones, jsut so they knew that they were important to me too. I'm sure with lots of love and a bit of time, your little girl will come round again. x
  • Hi Snappyloz,
    I think she might be feeling a little rejected, and needs reassurance and patience. Its hard though because she does need to learn that she can't be naughty - I haven't been in the same situation but my daughter is also 16 months and has really started to try and push the boundaries so maybe its a bit of both - the changes involved with bringing your son home and her age. Also I wonder if her being upset at your Gran coming round means that she was worried about being left again?

Whatever it is, the fact that she is being so gentle towards her new brother shows what a lovely little girl she is. Congratulations by the way - it can't have been easy and i'm sure this will all be a lot easier soon.
  • Thanks girls. It has settled quite a bit now but it has meant that I've had to give up breastfeeding as he was constantly feeding and she wasn't getting much of my time. It was hard but had to weigh up the options and what was best for the family all round. It has meant however that I could leave Jamie with his dad and take Beth out on my own so we could have some me and her time. I've also started taking her back to some of the classes she goes to which is a military operation haha but I've managed it and I've found that this has helped big time. So thanks for the advice its appreciated xx