Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Restaurants-persevere or avoid?

We've always eaten out lots especially with friends but I'm finding it so stressful. Lo won't sit in his highchair for more than 15/20 mins, he's such a wriggle bum! We went for a meal yesterday-by the time everyone had ordered, we'd waited for the food and actually eaten we were there for a couple of hours. I was SO stressed out by the end-lo was climbing the walls and ended up very upset. I don't know weather we should keep going to try and get him used to it or just avoid meals out until he's older.

Were due to go out for tea with friends later this week and I'm really dreading it, it won't be at all enjoyable. It's at a family friendly pub with a playzone so I'm thinking of just going for the play and coming home to eat. He only been like this very recently-I think now that he's on the move he's just not content to sit and watch everyone . What would you do?x

[Modified by: p.bob on 19 April 2010 13:27:01 ]

Replies

• When we go out for something to eat, we either tend to go to coffee shops where you barely wait any time at all for your food, or if we go to a restaurant, its somewhere like Zizzi or Pizza Express. I find that these places seem to be more geared for families and turn things around quickly. Pizza Express also does a 'Bambini' menu for children and lo loves their ice cream sundaes!

I'd say we stay there, in total, for about 45 minutes. We waste no time in ordering and OH and I have always eaten quite quickly, so we seem to get through faster than anyone else! I take books and crayons and things to keep lo entertained between ordering and the food arriving, and always face him towards the rest of the diners so that he can be vaguely entertained by what is going on.

How old is your lo? Mine is 26 months, and much as I like going out for lunch, it isn't the relaxing experience that it used to be! I am very envious of families who seem to be more relaxed in restaurants and whose toddlers just sit and watch everything and don't make a fuss!
  • I feel your pain! Isaac has never ever been able to sit still for too long. There is no way we could get him to sit at a table for 2 hours!! Tbh that is a long time for any toddler to have to sit still.

When we do eat out it's always quick or somewhere where Isaac can get down and play afterwards. I give him nibbles whilst he's waiting for his food, this usually keeps him happy and takes the edge off his hunger. I always carry a book or his iggle piggle/upsy daisy characters so he can quietly play, but it's usually noisy play! :lol:

But after he finishes his food there is no way he is going to sit happily in his chair, so meals are not a long affair these days. Luckily my friends and family understand this so we go for a walk or take him to play afterwards.

If the meal is at a playzone if your LO gets wriggly or unhappy, you could always take him off for a short play. Sounds like an informal place so sure this would be poss. I'm sure your friends will understand. Especially if they have kids themselves. I wouldn't avoid eating out as he needs to get used to these situations. Most toddlers hate sitting still and want to be off exploring. Try not to get too stressed, there will be loads of mummys that feel the same as you. I think keeping it short and sweet is the key. xx
  • The only way that Freya will sit still is if she is eathing and so, if we eat out, then it is always at Freya's lunch time. As a result, we do also tend to be finished in an hour or so. But, she actually really quite enjoys eating out with other people. We haven't tried any long sociable lunches - I must admit I think that Freya would probably get bored. She'd want to run around, but because she has no concept of staying within a certain area that would be a bit of a nightmare I think.

I know that your lo isn't the greatest eater - but I'd say perhaps to try and keep going with the shorter lunch dates that coincide with your lo's eating times rather than stopping all together?
  • Thanks girls, I think we'll keep going. I had plenty to keep him entertained and nibbles for him to munch on, we also took it in turns to walk around the restaurant with him-he just didn't want to be there! I guess this is just another challenge of parenthood! I'm going to make sure we go at the right time from now on though-we got there at 1pm and he usually eats at 12 so he was over-hungry (if there is such a thing!) and he has his nap at 1.30 so was getting tired too, it was just one of those situations where we couldn't meet any earlier xx