Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

'Off white' nashers!!

Hello everyone who remembers me!! hope everyone and there lo's are doing ok? we had a bit of a shock yesterday with eoin.. after always sitting relatively nicely on the sofa, he was sat next to me.. grabbed the remote from me, jumped up and as quick as a flash ran to the end of the sofa... and disappeared over the edge, head first.. onto a laminate flooor!! I was in utter shock, it was horrible, he was crying and so was I. luckily he was ok, but now im a bag of nerves!! other than than that we doing very well, he's coming on a treat!!
I would like some advice on teeth brushing.. Eoins always been keen to brush his teeth and does it mostly by himself,turning tap on, squeezing tube, but all of a sudden he keeps his mouth shut fast when we are trying to brush.. Ive tried distraction, and games (chooo chooo train ect) but it wont work.. I really dont want to force him or get into a battle but his teeth are beginning to look 'off white' help!!!'

[Modified by: Palmtree on 29 June 2009 11:03:43 ]

Replies

• Hi Palmtree,

Glad Eoin's ok after his acrobatics! My little one did a similar thing this morning, Ella's 21 months, she was sat on her bed reading a book, i went along the landing to put washing in the basket and as i came back into the room she stood up and pulled the bed bar up (but it didn't click into place) She then leant forward on the bed bar, it pushed down and she was thrown over the top in a sort of forward roll and landed flat on her back on the floor , carpet luckily, she was winded but fine. I think they do it to keep us on our toes! lol!

Regarding teeth brushing Ella always used to clamp her mouth shut around the toothbrush and only let me brush for about 10 secs. i bought her a flashing toothbrush from tesco. You press the end and the handle flashes for 60sec, which is the recommended brushing time for a toddler apparently. I explained to her that the flashing lights means you have to brush. She loves pushing the button and then opens her mouth wide for me to brush. I tell her she has to watch and when the light stops she has to tell me. I then pretend that i haven't noticed the light and she shouts 'lights gone mummy'. It's all a highly amusing game. She has now started wanting to brush herself after I've done it so we press the button again and she does it.

The only time she won't let me brush is if she's teething and I can always tell as she has red cheeks and vile nappies and she says ow ow ow when i brush. I don't force it then as i figure it must hurt so just do a quick brush and try not to worry about it as i know we brush well 90% of time.

Might not work for Eoin but did for Ella. Anythings worth a try.
    Good luck
    xxx
  • Hi, Shea is 21months too and i'm having a similar problem with him at the mo, he will not let me help with brushing his teeth and i'm not convinced he's doing a good enough job!!

I try not to get stressed but yesterday his nana filled him with "crap" all afternoon and had a nightmare last night his teeth were gonna fall out!!

I might try the flashing toothbrush trick - sounds like a good one

• Charlotte's started to not let me brush her teeth. She wants to do it herself but will only chew the brush and brush her front teeth not her 1st molars. I don't know what to do with her! She is teething with her canines though - can now see the points of all 4 of them. Going to see our dentist soon so I hope he has some tips for us.
  • They're funny with their teeth aren't they. I think the flashing toothbrush is a brilliant idea - I saw them in Waitrose last week and decided that I'd buy one of those when I buy Daniel's next one. they say they're for 3 years plus, but I think that's because of the small parts, not because the head of the toothbrush or whatever isn't suitable.

At 18 months, Daniel has 16 teeth, and I am paranoid about brushing them properly. the little monkey will let our nanny brush them for him (he will even let her brush his tongue), but when we try to do them, he insists on doing them himself which basically means cherwing on the toothbrush and so on't doing the back teeth. He loves doing them himself - if he sees us brushing our teeth, he goes nuts until you give him his toothbrush too. He would spend all day chewing that toothbrush! I will be buying a flashing one sooner than I think!