Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

She's toliet training herself!!

Hi!

Some of you know my Charlotte is very head strong and has a strong independency. We go on holiday in a couple of weeks so even though Charlotte has been showing signs of getting ready to start toilet training I have been putting it off until we return. However Charlotte has other idea's. She regularly takes her nappy off and it's dry and sits on the potty to do her business then tells me!! I am encouraging her but at the same time putting a nappy back on so that she has no objections about wearing one for a few more weeks. I know people say girls are usually dry earlier than boys but there will be around a year's difference between my two.

Zoe xx

Replies

• Thats great Zoe she's only just two, brilliant!! Why do you want her back in nappies for the hols then, is it a long journey??
  • We are off to Skegness so it's not so much a long journey it's the fact we are out more than in and don't want the hassle of any accidents, selfish I know but for the sake of a few weeks, she'll be ok and then hopefully dry really quickly when we get back!!

When you see Charlotte she looks older than what she is. She is taller than most of her peers and stocky too, she has shoulder length hair which also makes her look older, she is obviously developing quite quickly.
  • Cleve girl charlotte.

Zoe i dont think your being selfish atall,i was the same when taking riley shopping,altho he was getting better i still didnt want him worrying about wetting himself,his realy good now and no probs,we go everywhere without the nappy as his quite confident in asking for the toilet.
    He still has a nappy at night tho.
  • aah bless her, I agree it would be a major hassle on holiday, dashing around with potties or trying to find toilets all the time. She will be out of nappies for the summer how lovely. I was thinking that this afternoon when I was changing tate thinking how much longer!!! XXX
  • Wow, well done Charlotte!!!!!

Zoe i don't think you're being selfish at all, just practical.
  • Emma, Jack wasn't dry in the day until 3 and 2 months and he still wore a nappy at night until after his 4th birthday so don't worry.

Oh and thanks to you all for saying i'm not selfish. I just want to able to enjoy this holiday and not be worrying all the time.
  • Zoe, I did the same with Aaron. He was ready when we were just due to go on holiday, so we left it until we came back before we tried toilet training.
    I really did'nt want the hassles of looking for a toilet or accidents so we waited.
    A few more weeks wont matter, in fact it will probably be better if you do wait till you come home as the change in routine might put her off.

But its great that she tells you when she needs to go. She's doing really well.

Well done Charl
  • Zoe that's great, clever girl charlotte!!
    I'd be exactly the same as you and not start actively potty training until after your holiday. If she continuse to wantto take her nappy off and sit on the potty, could you put her in pull ups instead until the times right?

Keep us posted!!
  • I used pull ups with Jack and too be honest wasn't keen. He would use them as a nappy and not as pants with some padding for accidents. The only way I was able to train him was to put him in proper pants. I will still need nappies for night time as the hold more wee so to me it just makes sense to stick with them. I know some people's children really got on with pull ups I think it depends on the child.
  • I totally agree, I'd say Ethan got on with them really well but they made me too relaxed and i'd forgetto remind him to use the potty and this ended up delaying him!!! We'vr finallycompletely cracked it now (fingers crossed) but it's taken 8 months!!!!!
  • Well done Charlotte. I obviously havent had the experience of potty training yet, but like you Zoe i would wait a few more weeks if we were due to go away. She may well forgot to ask you for the toilet if you are busy when out so it will be easier to wait. Don't feel selfish about it, a few more weeks won't hurt. Then you can give it your full attention when you are back in familiar surroundings.
    It will be lovely for you to have her toilet trained by the summer, as you can go out without worrying about taking enough nappies.

xx
  • Im so glad these boys seem a little slower than the girls as ive been worried about Tate. I know I just need to leave it til he's interested but its hard when people keep commenting 'oh is he still in nappies'. He's only 2 and 3 months so I need to just ignore them xxx
  • Nicola I was the same. I used to get people saying to me as I was pregnant, I bet your pleased he's out of nappies with another one on the way, and of course i had to say he was still in them. OOhh was the response and it really bothered me. I had a fab midwife and she told me he'll be dry when he's ready and not too force it as that is when problems can occur. Also she said to me, he won't be in nappies when he goes to school so don't worry. I took a lot of comfort from that and when the time was right Jack was dry in a week. He was 3 and 2 months.
  • Thanks Zoe that really helps. My mother in law keeps buying him pants, he's got about 6packs!!! we tried a couple of months ago, but he got so upset when he was wet, so leaving it now til he says so really xxx
  • Well done Charlotte, i bet she will be dry really quickly when you get back from your holiday xx
  • ahh, well done charl, she sounds very independant.

i dont blame you for keeping her in nappies a little longer, at least you know she'll be really ready when you do train completely.

hope it all goes well
    kas xx
  • Well done Charl!!! Typical timing Zoe!!! You aren't being selfish, you need to start at a time that's good for you both.

Do i need to bring my porta potty with me??? When i subscribed to PP it was part of my welcome gift!!

Apparently in the USA its trendy to start toilet training your baby at 6 months! Maybe I should start with Bronwyn!!! OR NOT!!!!! Could you imagine??

p.s. less than a week to go!!!
  • ah are you guys meeting up on hol? Thats great. I am even more jealous now, you've all met each other. Im feeling v.sad and left out. I need to move closer, or learn to drive!!!
  • Nicola, I'm not very good at geography but how far is Tonbridge from where Sarah is?