Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

help,things to do with 17 month old!

my son and i most days go to park or swings, but now its hot i put pool in garden for him to play. thing is i feel awful as a mum as i really draw a blank what to do with him. he loves tv but i dont want him watching all the time as i feel its becoming very important to him! what else can we do at this age? also ttc aug and want to get tro do more things with him as i think he is bored!
im sorry if people feel im stupid asking this question but i really dont no what to do with him some days?

also he is a poor sleeper at the mo so im worried about goping out getting back to put him down around 11-12 for his 1 nap, then afternoon getting back to do dinner,amybe i should be more organised.

[Modified by: mrskc on 23 June 2010 12:24:48 ]

Replies

• Options
    a few of the thing me and toby do during the day are toddler groups,swimming,the libary or somtimes just a walk to the shops when the weathers nice i dont see the harm in just playing in the garden as toby loves the paddling pool or pop up tent. you could alway make the garden a bit more fun by painting or having a picnic .another thing toby loves at the moment is the bus so we sometimes go for a bus ride.
  • Options
    A few things I try doing:

* Bubble machine
    * Fills the cat truck with stones and then emptys them
    * Pretents to water the plants - copying me
    * Helps with the washing up - by splashing but loves it
    * Walks
    * Park
    * Swimming
    * Building
    * Loves to help me cook - again more eating and trying to grab things but feels involved
    * Empty cardboard boxes - not sure why but can spend ages putting things in and out of them and moving them around

Also been looking for things myself and found these ideas if they are any help:

* Coins and containers - apparently like the box allows them to move the coins from one to the other and they love it.
    * Playdough - I have a recipe for an ediable one if you are interested
    * Animal safari - Hide some of their teddies in varies places (not to well at this age) and then help them find them.
    * Sandbox
    * Tape - apparently they love the stickiness, just get some colourful electrical tape and stick short strips within reach for them to play with.

Good luck I know its hard to find things to do but don't forget to try and include them in things you are doing. Like I said if I'm on my own cooking or washing up he sits /stand on a stool and helps me. It does make a mess but they have fun. Also my son loves to help clean the car gets really wet but is laughing the whole time.

http://lb2f.lilypie.com/08m4.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev278pr___.png

• Options
    Could you do some kind of mark-making with crayons, chalks, paints etc. Joseph loves scribbling with his crayons (and also strangely enough) gets about the same amount of enjoyment out of putting them in and out of their box! lol Easily pleased! Or how about using pans/old milk tins/sweet tins and wooden spoons/spatulas etc to make a lovely noise! My lo isn't really co-ordinated enough for this yet but the children I teach at school LOVE having a paintbrush and a bucket of water and painting the floor/walls etc. Maybe your lo would like something like this? (We use big decorating style paintbrushes so they are nice and chunky for them to hold) HTH M x
  • Options
    what playdough could i use, im sure he would just eat it!
  • Options
    Any playdoh will be fine there is nothing toxic in it.
    Drawing
    Singing and dancing to a CD of any music
    Reading stories
    Car play
    puppets
    building blocks
    get the pans out and pretend cook or make 'music'
    bowl of water and bubbles to play in with pouring pots
    finger painting
    messy play - with jelly, moose, rice krispies, cooked cold spaghetti etc etc
    'painting' with water and brush outside
    walks
    park
    swimming
    toddler groups
    stacking rings or cups
    puzzles

hope that helps
  • Options
    wow! i need to stock up!!! lol.xxx thanks!
  • Options
    Here is the recipe that I found for play doh:

Make you own play dough:
    Ingredients:
    ??????? 2 cups flour,
    ??????? 2 cups warm water
    ??????? 1 cup salt
    ??????? 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    ??????? 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
    ??????? Food colouring

Mix & Heat:

Mix all of the ingredients together, and stir over low heat. The dough will begin to thicken until it resembles mashed potatoes. When the dough pulls away from the sides and clumps in the centre, remove the pan from heat and allow the dough to cool enough to handle. IMPORTANT NOTE: if your play dough is still sticky, you simply need to cook it longer.

Knead & Colour:

Turn the dough out onto a clean counter or silicone mat, and knead vigorously until it becomes silky-smooth. Divide the dough into balls for colouring. Make a divot in the centre of the ball, and drop some food colouring in. Fold the dough over, working the food colour through the body of the play dough, trying to keep the raw dye away from your hands and the counter.

Play & Store:

Play with your play dough- I really don't need to help you there. It's entirely edible, if a bit salty, so it's kid-safe. When you're done store it in an air-tight container. If it begins to dry out, you can knead a bit of water in again to soften the dough back to usability. Once it's dried past a certain point, however, you'll just have to start over.

http://lb2f.lilypie.com/08m4.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev278pr___.png

• Options
    ok, i get some. what games can you play with them?
  • Options
    with play dough???

You can roll it with a rolling pin - cut out different shapes with cutters or usinga blunt knife to make patterns, roll it into snakes or balls, squash and squeeze it etc etc the possibilities are endless!
  • Options
    i think what i mean is what they do with it, at 17 months im not sure he will be that fussed?
  • Options
    He will hun, try him with it image it's great for them just to hold, squish about in their hands, break up and squash back together, they tend to like the feel of it. He might not be hugely interested in cutting shapes or what have you but give him some cutters or a plastic knife and just let him get on with it i'm sure he'll have great fun, if he's not keen at least you can say you've tried! xx
  • Options
    Yeah like linz says he may well just break it and scrunch it but it's great for their development and if you show him what the rollers and cutters are for he'll get the idea or even do bits of rolling with his hands under yours so he getsa feel for what it's like!