Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

toddler and mummy friend needed hampshire!

Hi this seems really odd but im finding it really hard to adjust to the whole baby groups etc although my son is almost 2! Our problem is that we dont have any friends who have children so our son has spent almost no time at all with other children! it doesnt seem to have affteted him in any way. its only just dawned on me though its his birthday on boxing day and he's having a b/day party 2morow and he has no little friends to come! i feel really sad about this and i know that it is my fault so i want to do something to change this and wondered if anyone can help? im quite shy so hence the not going to baby groups etc but im very over protective the first time we went to one of these baby groups some big kids smacked my son which just fills me with anger i hate the idea of someone hurting him! we live in andover hampshire and maybe someone knows of some good things we can do to make friends even one little friend for him will do........:\(

Replies

• Options
    hi, hope you had a good christmas and your son enjoyed his birthday party. you shouldn't feel odd baby groups do take some getting used to! i'm sorry i can't really help you much as i live in sheffield, but i was in a similar situation to you. i too found the whole baby group thing very daunting and gave it a miss, until my daughter was 1 and i realised that she'd need to go and play with kids her own age (she had also just started nursery for 2 mornings whilst i was at work-granny had her the rest of day and she was happy whilst she was there) i contacted the childrens information service which is usually run by the council and they sent me a list of playgroups and toddler sessions at libarys and soft play areas that are run in my area, including times and prices and who to contact for more info. i plucked up the courage as i wasn't doing it for myself but my child. the first session was great but the second a big kid knocked her down. i was really upset at first, the other kids mother was very apologitic saying he's just started doing it and she doesn't know why but then dragged her son off and was shouting and bawling at him for ages. i felt awful for her kid then! my daughter wasn't hurt i think it was more shock, so she soon got back to playing, long before the boy did! i realised that maybe in a years time that she could be the one knocking over other kids, it's just a stage, same as biting and tantrums and kids need to be taught that theres others in the world not just them, from then on i relaxed. i used to just sit down on my own and enjoy watching her play. people do come up to you and talk to you and i apreciated that they took the first step. i've have even made 3 good friends who live really close so we often go for a walk in the park or for a coffee. i too was the first of my friends to have kids and i found we driffted apart as they just didn't understand that i couldn't drop everything and go to the cinema/for a drink/club/meal etc. now theres a couple who have got there own kid now and they come to me for advice and we see each other more often. life has changed and so have my priorities, so i've had to take a leap and put myself in new situations and it's paid off for me, not just for my daughter. sorry i can't be of more help. give your playgroup another chance. have a good new year!
  • Options
    hi i remember trying toddler groups with my daughter for the first time all the mums seem to already know one another i felt like a spare part and my daughter wouldnt leave my side when it should have been fun for the both of us i tried a different place at my local leisure centre my daughter loved it ive made a really good friend and it really helped mixing with the other children for when she started nursery as my daughter has no other little people in the family all the best