Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Cot bed to bed

Hi.
My 20 month old sleeps in a cot bed with the sides still on. I am thinking of taking the sides off to convert it into a bed. He moves around a lot in his sleep and i'm worried that he will fall out. Its not very high off the ground so he wouldn't really do himself a major injury. He currently sleeps in a sleeping bag and i'm going to give him a childs duvet when winter comes.
Does anyone have any advice to help?
Thanks.
Sara.

Replies

• hi,

my lo has just turned 2 and i'm 32+4 with my second.

my lo is still in his cot too. what we were planning to do is move him into a toddler bed in time for the new one arriving and say that now he's a big boy he can go in big boy's bed.

he also wears sleeping bags and is really cosy in them, i don't want to change to a duvet yet as before we used sleeping bags he used to be really unsettled, especially if he'd kicked his cover off and i used to worry in case he'd gone under the cover which he sometimes did.

i have thought about him falling out of bed and was going to get him a bed guard but then in my opinion he won't get used to sleeping in a bed without sides if i do that as he will still have something to lean into, i think i am going to put cushions on the floor in case he does fall out, that way he is learning but won't hurt himself until he gets used to the new bed.

hope that helps

kelly x
  • My 20m daughter is still in cotbed and i dont plan to convert it into a bed until she is 2. I dont think she is ready yet as she still moves around alot a night. As long as they havent learnt to climb up and over bars then wouldnt suggest converting to bed until they are over 2 at least.
    I was also wondering whether to give her kids duvet for this winter but i wouldnt like to risk it being too heavy for her to push off when shes half asleep and it has risen above her head. I plan to use a fleece blanket tucked in for this winter whilst she is still young.
  • I had to move my lo into a big bed at 20 months because she was able to climb out & I was afraid of her falling & getting hurt. It worked well for us though as it freed up the cot in plenty time for the new baby who is due in november.

We didnt have any problems with the move & to be honest she actually sleeps far better in her big bed. I was expecting all sorts of problems trying to keep her in but fortunately there havent been any so far

Good luck with the move

Hilary x
  • I changed the cot to cot bed with my eldest two when they were about 14 months, as both liked to climb and was worried about them climbing out of the cot and hurting themselves. I did put a bed guard up for a short time, but as the drop from the bed to the floor wasn't far and the room was carpeted and it only takes them to fall out of bed once for them to learn not to do it again. No 1 moved to the bottom bunk at 2.5, then just before 4th birthday, when no 2 was 2.5 moved No 1 to top and No 2 to bottom bunk. Will probably try and keep no 3 in cot/cot bed for a bit longer this time.
    Hope this makes sense
  • My toddler is such a climber and he managed to climb out of his cot at 18 months. We just leave the cot side down now so that if he does it again he doesn't have so far to fall and we put the sheepskin rug down on the floor too. He hasn't climbed out again as yet.
  • We moved our lo into new room and new bed when expecting no 2 at 20 months. We have borrowed a bottom bunk bed (for the low height) have one of those bed rail thingies which works well, I also have a pillow and extra duvet down the ends which the rail does not reach. He has only fell out once when he wriggled to the bottom of the bed. We put the gate on his door so if he does get out he goes back to bed. We made sure the toys he has out are ok for unsupervised play. We had loads of rapid returns to begin with but he settled after the first week.
    Saz
  • My son jumped out of his cot twice in a week at around 18 months and luckily didn't hurt himself but we bought him a little tikes car bed which is really low on the ground and now he's two we've given him a big duvet and he wont get out now!
  • We moved our 2 year old on sat night into her cot bed, she loves it, like amy+1 its been hard getting her out of her "Big Girls bed" thanks for all the help & advise it made it so easy for us xx
  • i'm hoping to convert my cot/bed to a bed, once i move house (in the next month hopefully), he's a big boy now & when he turns over you can hear him clotting his head on the cot bars & it wakes him. am buying him a duvet too for winter as hes no longer in sleeping bags (too big) & his coverlet isn't move enough anymore. i'm a bit worried about him falling out etc, but will get bed guards & will put a stair gate at the bedroom door - what other furniture do you have in their rooms, as i 'm a bit worried he'll start climbing on everything when left alone. x
  • Cathy,

I just have all the usual furniture in her room- wardrobe, 2 chests of drawers & a toy box.

It was my intention to put a gate on her bedroom door but I didnt get around to it before she moved into her 'big bed' & then found that she didnt need it.

If she does get out of bed (which is only ever in the morning when its time to get up anyway) she'll either get a book & get back into bed or if I'm upstairs she'll come into me. We always hear her anyway coz she shouts "Mummy, snuggles!" which means she wants me to get in & give her cuddles before she gets up properly

Good Luck
    Hilary x