Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

16 months and still not walking...

Alex was 16 months yesterday and still refuses to walk! She cruises the furniture, stands on her own for a few seconds, recently started climbing onto the sofa and stands up holding onto things. She'll walk if I hold both her hands and walk with her. Should I be concerned? Is it a confidence thing?

G, Alex (16 mo) & JJ (7 weeks)

Replies

• Really, I wouldn't worry.Ii know it is easy to say when I have a lo who is walking (mine is 18 months and started walking at around 15 months), but really, given what she is doing, she will walk soon. It is far too early to be concerned. my lo, on the other hand, does not speak much at all. Everything (and I mean everything) is dada from me to the window to the pram to his dinenr - everything. And my speech therapist friend says not to worry. Though I do!!
  • I wouldn't worry at all. Rhys started walking at 17 months and I was becoming obsessive about him not walking. Within 2 weeks of his 1st steps he was really confident and on his feet all the time. He's 18months now and is trying to run and jump ha ha. Just keep encouraging her we started doing really small gaps incase it was a confidence thing.
  • I wouldnt worry too much hun, it sounds like shes nearly there. As she is happy to put weight on her legs it does not sound like a physical problem. Really dont panic, by the sounds of it it wont be long now!!
  • I wouldn't worry either. Kara didn't walk until she as almost 19 months and she is almost 22 months now and running about. She was very similar to your lo as she hadn't the confidence to let go of our hands and walk on her own.
  • HI
    My daughter was very late too, she would cruise and took a few steps at the creche but not at home, we have wooden floors so I got her some knee pads. I think that she was just very cautious and even now (3) she's still careful. she's hardly ever fallen over. I think its a girl thing as boys seem to charge around and dont mind falling over and bumping into things.
  • Please do not worry. Charlotte is 18 months on 13th and she is doing exactly the same as your lo. In fact she has only just started walking a lot more with support the last week or so. My hv has not been concerned as she's been cruising for ages. I was getting really stressed about it but have relaxed more now.
  • Don't worry. Gabe is 14 months and has just started to walk, a few steps unaided. BUT he cannot crawl and never has! I think it's a total confidence thing. What I do is I stand Gabe up against the sofa (facing outwards) and hold my arms out so he can walk to me, or we get him to walk between 2 people. Sometimes it works .
  • Gems, Lucas is identical to how you describe Alex and they are pretty much the same age! I wouldn't worry tho. Lucas didn't crawl til 11 months so I wasn't expecting him to walk quickly either!!!