Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Sleeping Bags to Sheets

Hi everyone,

Recently Isabelle has learnt how to unzip her sleeping bag and now after every sleep she gets herself out of it. I had been thinking about buying the next size up sleeping bag as she is growing out of her current ones, but now that she can get herself out of them I am wondering if I would be better to move her onto sheets/duvet and drop the sleeping bag altogether.

I suppose I am nervous at the thought that changing from her sleeping bags means that she won't sleep as well as it is changing something she to used to and also do I change her to a duvet or sheets?

What are your opinions?

Thanks x

Replies

• what age is your lo? i worrie about the same thing but Ellie actually slept better with the duvet and didnt budge in bed etc where-as when she was in sleeping bag she rolled around the bed/cot and was upside-down many a morning i got her up!
    She even slept longer because of the heat of the duvet so i would say go for it, kids duvets arnt expensive so id try it and if it dosnt work then get the next size of sleeping bag instead. xxx
  • We switched cole to sheet/blanket about a month ago cause i figured it'd be overall cheaper in the long run than getting yet more bags - plus it has been so hot at times in his room that he has just slept in pjs and if necessary we can just pullt he sheet over him in the night.

He still sleeps rubbish though (teething doesn't help!) and he still winds up all over the bed although not as often but on the odd times we've put the blanket on as well as the sheet he hasn't gone upside down (that I know of!) - he does kick them off though but I figured summer was a better time for him to get used to covers than winter!

personally I'd say that if she's unzipping the sleeping bag then you might as well go with a duvet/sheets etc as either way she could end up uncovered and at least in the summer she'll be less cold.
  • Isabelle is 17 months old and I really don't want to have to buy 18 month + sleeping bags. I think she is old enough to move to sheets or a duvet, I just know that I will be nervous about changing it in case she starts to have disruptive nights!!

What should I be looking to buy? A light weight duvet or just simple sheets? I have realised that I actually don't have a clue about what sheets I should be using??
  • We just have sheets at the mo while its hot, and pop a blanket on the top if its a bit cooler. I'm going to get some duvet covers and a 4 tog duvet for when the weather gets cooler - coles room is always warm anyway so he's ok in just th sheet at the moment
  • Hi I had to take sleeping bags away from SHea at 12months as he was undoing them so I changed to a wincyette (sp??) sheet and a duvet, but now its summer he's just having the duvet.

Shea actually slept a lot better when I changed to a duvet, I think he likes the snugginess of the duvet, and I often watch him when he gets in bed, he loves to pull it up round his face and make it real cosy!!

Hopefully your lo will love it too!!
  • Oh that is so cute that Shea snuggles up into the duvet, I hope Isabelle is like that soon!!

I have put her down with a sheet tonight so fingers crossed it goes well. Her room was 28/29 degrees, I have the window wide open but it is not making a difference. It is so warm in there, I just couldn't put her in her sleeping bag. So she is in just a vest with a light cotton sheet. She took a while to settle which is unusual but all has gone quiet now! I will let you know how it went in the morning!
  • How did the sleeping bo swizzle??

God it was hot last night, hubby and I had a really uncomfortable night but we didn't hear a peep out of Shea, and had to go in his room and wake him at 7 this morning!!

Snuggled under that duvet again!! hee hee