Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

can anyone help

my 17 month old son has decided 430 am is a good time to wake if not earlier. he goes to bed about 730 and gets up every 2-3 hours for a drink and cudddle.im at my wits end as i have to go to work so tired after bein up most of the night with him any suggestions on how to keep him asleep ? ive tried puttin to bed later and not lettin him nap too long during the day (only has 50 mins to 1hr30) any suggestions would be nice thanks xx

Replies

• Has he started to do this since you went back to work or some other change to routine reason? My Brooke went through a phase like this and I ended up sleeping in her room on the floor as she slept if she knew I was there and then at least I got some sleep so could work! She did get over it after a few weeks!
    If not, if he's only waking for a drink and cuddle, that's attention rather than need so you'd maybe have to be strong and just check he's OK, lie him down again and ignore the crying until he realises he's not going to get middle of the night attention! I don't know, I only ever managed to be really strong when my husband held me back from going in and she was fine and did stop.
    Hope you work something out soon!
  • i would love to be stong and let him cry but he is in my room as i live with my parents and my sister has my nephew in the next room plus i dont want to wake the house up.nothing has changed in our routine. ive been back to work for nearly a year now
  • It does sound like an attention thing. Have you talked it over with your family and explained how tired you are? You may find that they are willing to put up with a short period of disruption if they know things will be easier for you afterwards. I know our lo always plays up at night if we have to share a room for any reason because he knows we're there. Have you tried putting some kind of screen between you so that he can't see you if he wakes up? I hope you manage to sort this.
  • It does sound like an attention thing. Have you talked it over with your family and explained how tired you are? You may find that they are willing to put up with a short period of disruption if they know things will be easier for you afterwards. I know our lo always plays up at night if we have to share a room for any reason because he knows we're there. Have you tried putting some kind of screen between you so that he can't see you if he wakes up? I hope you manage to sort this.
  • im in the smallest room so a screen in no use i dont have room for a bedside unit never mind a screen thanks for the help i hope it works as iim startin to get snappy and im not nice to be around