Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Off her food

Hi All. For the past 3 days Lily (almost 17 months) has been completely off her food and has been refusing whatever we give her (lumpy or smooth, sweet or savoury, most finger foods - everything!). The only thing she'll eat is Organix crispy snacks or a few dry cheerios. She has been drinking her milk, but only about 12-15oz in total (she's never been a big milk drinker). She's perfectly well in all respects, more tired than usual, but I put that down to her not eating much. I thought some of it might be due to teething and I've been trying not to worry 'cos I know they'll eat in their own time, especially when hungry.
But I just wondered how long do you leave it before it becomes a real concern and what do you do in the meantime?
We're trying not to force her, but the longer it goes on the more anxious we become. Any tips or advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Andrea.

Replies

• James does this when he's teething I generally just leave little bowls of snacks like dry cereal or fruit salad around where he plays. That way he dips in and out as he feels like it. I still sit him in his high chair at meal times so he doesn't get out of the routine but I don't stress if he doesn't eat much. Can you feel any teeth coming thru? I'm just asking this cos James had a week like this just before he started with chiken pox.... Maybe speak to your HV if you're worried.
  • Thanks. One of her top teeth is cutting through, she won't let me feel right round her gums so I don't know if any of her back ones are coming through. We had a little bit of progress this morning - she ate a small pot of - petit filous for breakfast - not much but better than nothing!