Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

19 month old hates shut doors

My 19 month old has started crying if u walk out of the room and shut the door - even if there are other people still in the room with him. Its not just with me, it could be OH, my mum, my sis - any1 really. Its becoming quite difficult to deal with as he really does cry and its hard when uv got 2 other kids and a house to take care of, and, obviously i hate seeing him upset.

Does any1 have any idea why hes started doing this? Or have any clue how to reasure him its ok without encouraging him to do it everytime.

Thanx

Elaine and boys xx

Replies

• Options
    im sorry your lo is going though this. i dont know why this is happening but could you put a poster of his fav' cartoons on the back of the door. i dont know if it would help but i thought it might help. x
  • Options
    My son is 17 months and obsessed with closing doors! If I say to him "close the door" he does exactly as he's told then claps his hands til we clap back and tell him what a good boy he is, strange boy! lol Couldn't you try and make it a game and somehow get him involved in closing the door and giving him loads of praise if he does? If he feels in control he might be less likely to resent it.
  • Options
    weve tried clapping and making a game from it. The doors are glass panels so he can see us through them. I never shut his bedroom door - he has a baby gate on it and is the same way when i shut that too he just hates to be in a room on his own. He dosnt just winge or sob he goes into full blown hysterics.
    If u sneak out of the room and he sees u in the other room hes ok and usually waves to u! Its when he actually sees u leave that he hates.
  • Options
    Maybe you look all funny and wiggly through the glass and he doesn't like it?! Sorry, not much help that is it? Hopefully he'll just grow out of it but these silly habits can be stressful sometimes can't they?