Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Any advice girlies.....................

More related to those of you with older children but that forum looked fairly deserted and I know you lovely ladies won't mind me posting in here! DS is 4 and started reception class at the beginning of September. He was fine for the first fortnight, went to line up in the yard without a problem and went in and out of school with a huge smile on his face. Have to confess I felt a bit smug that he'd settled so well lol! Last week and today have well and truly wiped that smile from my face though. He cried every single day last week and had to be peeled off me this morning and taken in by his teacher. It's breaking my heart to see him like that cos he's usually such a happy chappy and quite confident for his age. I know he's fine when he's there as his teacher rings me and he's full of smiles and hugs at hometime. It is quite hard to get him to talk about what he's done at school but he was never that hot on volunteering info on what he'd been upto at nursery either, methinks toys and running around are more interesting than mummy! I've tried cuddles and talking to him, as has OH, about what's changed and all he says is that school's boring and too long. He used to do 2 hours a day longer at nursery, 3 days a week as I was working then so I don't understand that one. I've tried bribery (first with stickers, then with sweeties~desperate times = desperate measures!) and I tried being toughish this morning with the 'one kiss, one cuddle, now go and line up please' talk which obv didn't work! I just don't know where to go from here, nothing's changed at home, though I suppose OH is working away more as he's got a promotion at work but we can't change that and he was doing that before DS started school.
Please help a tearful mummy, any words of wisdom welcome and appreciated!
CB
Xx

Replies

• Oh hun.. I do feel for you hun, I really do. I cant help much, all I can say is when I worked in a nursery pre- school class, there were children.. many children, just like yours who all of a sudden took a dislike to leaving there mummy/daddy to come to class. I think there little brains are running at 100 miles an hour.. like a sponge taking in everything, trying to make sense of things and it all contributes to the odd bout off different behavior! One little girl, we finally worked out after weeks of crying when mummy left her was simply her way of 'showing' her mum, through tears that she loved her and would miss her.. bless.. They are funny at that age.. any age really I guess!! Im sure he will open up soon, or just suddenly be ok again.. Try to talk to him each day about why he gets upset, it may take time but Im sure he'll spurt it out eventually or just return to his happy self trotting off onto school and you'll be relieved!! Try not to let it get to you too much hun, from my experience with older children, its very, very common behavoir xxx

[Modified by: Palmtree on September 28, 2009 10:54 AM]

• hi zoe i have answered you in march 08. xxx