Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Bad language!

I have noticed Eoin, nearly 14 months is copying alot of the words I use, especially the last word of a sentence.. so cute! Now... I wouldnt say I swear alot (or a little he he ) But I imagine he is at the age where it DOES matter alot what he hears his dear mother say!! When the 'rare' occasion arises that I might say Bad words, they just pop out...like stubbing my toe ect.... has anyone got any suggeations what I can try to wean myself to say??? Ive tried saying "Oh Sugar" to replace "oh sh*t" but end up saying "oh Shitgar"!!!! ... help train my tongue!!!

Replies

• Options
    sorry i cant help much coz i swear too with out thinking about it,i have however been trying to make the oh but last a bit longer so then i think about my next word and make something up,lol

but then i do go argh ya Ba**t which has changed to bar steward lol

good luck coz my hubby is getting a swear box and i can tell you i bet we will be minted for next xmas lol
  • Options
    :lol: its so difficult. I try really hard but sometimes you just cant help yourself. Tthe other day I was driving and some tosser cut me up and nearly went into the side of the car so I shouted. You stupid tit! all the way home I could hear Isaac saying tit tit tit. Its typical becuase I have been saying please and thankyou everytime I give him something for months but do you think he repeats that? Oh no he doesnt.
  • Options
    Oh god I am dreading this happening. My new years resolution is to give up swearing, I think its going to be harder than it was to give up smoking 5 years ago!
  • Options
    Im not from this forum, but noticed your post.
    I hate swearing but it does slip out when really annoyed!
    I say oh shoot instead of oh sh&t...however, I need to change it as I dont want lo sating shoot, shoot etc.
    My friend now says oh crumbs.

saying something like oh flip doesn't really work though.

Having a baby definitely wakes you up and makes you think about your words and actions.
  • Options
    Ooo I am so worried about this too! Both me and oh have potty mouths. We just can't help it, oh is actually worse than me but I only swear at home, never in front of anyone else! Only problem is I definitely don't want Kade picking it up. There's nothing worse than hearing a toddler swearing (imo)
    I always remember my sil & bil laughing their heads of everytime their lo (toddler at the time) swore which I found shocking.
    Looks like I am going to have to get a fecking swear box! Lol
  • Options
    I am dreading this as well. I would be so embarrassed if I was somewhere some day and Kara cursed. I think I would die. It looks as if they are not rared right but we know that they pick up everything they hear. Me and my hubby do swear but I am trying not to in front of Kara as she is starting to copy us now.
  • Options
    My oh & I are also 'potty mouths' as Louise said!! We're trying really hard to curb our language as Poppy is copying everything too! She has already said 'shit' on a couple of occasions now but because I managed to not to laugh, she didn't repeat it!
    I think a swear box is needed for our house in the New year too!!
  • Options
    Me and hubby say 'sticklebricks' for every awkward situation!!! It sort of works but for very serious times I go into another room and whisper every swear word under the sun!!
  • Options
    LOL, I seem to swear loads at the moment...but I'm really trying not to! I might have to give 'sticklebricks' a try! :lol:
  • Options
    I always remember my nephew who was about 5 or so saying "You Bugger"which we all found cute and used to laugh at him so he would then of course say it more!!
    It wasnt until i heard my sis saying it that we all realised what my nephew was actually saying was......"you fucker!!!!!!!!!!"lol
    I too hate swearing in toddlers!
  • Options
    i bought a gas fire as my heater packed in great over this cold time eh lol

well Lewis touched it when it was just off and he said oh FU** i just ignored him but thought to myself little shite lol - he also says shit alot, its funny as he knows where to use it but it will be embarrasing when he uses it at toddlers or something, as said above do they learn the proper words as quick NO

I swear, not alot but i do, so Lewis saying it was going to happen - my poor mum is horrified that her grandson is swearing, she then added that my first swear word was BASTA** now thats a bad word!
  • Options
    I know what you all mean. I too sometimes have a potty mouth and have been worrying about this. The only time I have ever heard my oh swear is when he has hit his head or stubbed his toe (he can be a bit of a drama qween lol). I never swear around other children or at work so why I find it so hard to not swear around my lo I don't now, She is not yet talking (well she says Dad, Mum, That) but I can just see her first real word being 'Shit' or 'Bugger'

I can't stand swearing toddlers. Its worse then adults swearing.

Oh bugger , guess I will have to come up with something!! LoL.

Kerry, Freya and Bump
    X X X
  • Options
    LMAO @ shitgar - me and OH were bad for it but when we heard our middle boy say for fu*k sake J when J took a toy off him it really woke us up.

When you hear him say something that you dont like the sound of that will be enough for you to stop.

xx