Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Cleaning Teeth

Hi,

Just wondering how you get your LO's to clean their teeth. My daughter is 15 months old and won't let me brush her teeth but when I give her the brush all she does is suck and chew it. She only has 7 teeth, but I'm just worried that they are not being cleaned enough.

Replies

• That's how we started. I think we'd get about a nanno second to wave the brush around James mouth before he would grit his teeth. Is your lo a fan of Night Garden? Doing 'Tombliboo teeth' turned scrubbing into a game or how about a sticker chart.... every time she lets you clean her teeth she gets to stick a sticker on her chart. Anyway I wouldn't panic it will come as she gets older.
  • My daughter is 20 months and loves getting her teeth brushed. She wakes up in the morning and says teeth teeth until she gets them brushed. I brush them and then give her the toothbrush to do it and she sucks a bit but does give a good attempt at brushing them.
  • My lo is 17months, he has had a toothbrush since he was 4 months old, i thought it would be a good idea to get him used to it, when he had a couple of teeth it was fine as it was easy to get to them, now he has 13 teeth it is harder to brush them he just bites down on it so i cant move it. I dont think there is a easy way of getting them brushed, i just wait till he opens his mouth brush quickly then have to wait till he opens again it takes a while but theres nothing else i can do!!!!
    Sorry im not much help!!
    xxx
  • My DS loves brushing his teeth but isnt so keen on me doing it. We brush our teeth together in the morning and I show him what im doing in the hope he will get the hang of it.
  • I took Charlotte to the dentist last week (17 months) and the dentist said if we were getting the brush in her mouth and getting her used to it, then that was fine. She pretty much just chews it and moves it around her mouth and the dentist was happy with that. I felt much better.