Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Feeding Self!

Hi all Mums!
This isnt really a problem but im just wondering when all your toddlers started trying to or feeding themselves?
Benji is 15mths and shows no intrest in trying to take the spoon just opens his mouth like a little bird,even when i pass him finger foods he stands there with his mouth open...he can feed himself no prob,apart from shoving the lot in sometimes lol!
I know alot of babies also can give themselves their bottle..he cant,doesnt tip it far enough instead would rather tip it onto the floor..again this isnt a problem and im not concerned im just curious!
cheers x

Replies

• Im glad youve asked this because im interested in knowing the same. Jayden is 13 months and also has no interest in feeding himself with a spoon. I held his handin a spoon earlier trying to get him to geed himself a yoghurt and he got really stressed with me!
  • Hi
    Eve's been feeding herself since 6 months.She was such a pain in that she would not let me feed her with a spoon AT ALL.
    So I started doing the baby led weaning thing were they feed themselfs everything.
    I must admit its worked out well but god it was messy.
    Sometimes I wish I could just spoon her food into her especially if we are off out somewhere afterwards.

She is getting less messy now and has started using a spoon more instead of her fingers!!!.She does about 3-4 spoons of Yogurt then gets fed up and scoops it all up in her hands.
    I would just start giving more finger foods and then just leave a spoon or baby fork on the plate and let them go for it.
    xxx
  • Hi girls,

well Joshua used to love holding the spoon when I fd him from about 7 months but as soon as he was 10 months he wouldnt even touch the spoon I had to do it. Luckily at 14 months he was well away feeding himself and now at 18 months he's brilliant at it. He holds a spoon in one hand and a fork in the other and shovels the biggest spoonfuls of food in ive ever seen and he hardly spills any at all!

I wouldnt worry too much, as long as you give your lo the opportunity to feed themsleves they'll soon want to do it! xxx
  • Lily's 13 months and also shows no interest in feeding herself. We give her a spoon to hold at every meal time but she just thinks it's something to bash the highchair with! She will feed herself finger foods and holds her own beaker to drink from though.
  • hi, my lil man is 17 months old, hes been feeding himelf finger foods since about 11months old as he hated me feeding him with a spoon.
    Now he knows how to use a spoon but gets fed up with using it just picks up huge handfulls and shuves it in his mouth wich is very messy but he eats every bit.
    so i wouldent worry about it as every baby developes at their own pace!!
    xx
  • Poppy tries to feed herself with the spoon but it takes her so long and she won't eat luke warm food! So we have a spoon each and she helps!! She's getting quite good now but it is sooo messy!!! She too gives up after a wee while and uses her fingers instead to shovel it all in!!
    xx
  • benjismummy, Sonny wouldn't hold the bottle either & nver seemed to be able to tilt his head back enough, we would be out & I would see 3 months old holding on to their own bottle but not him!! It was only around 15 months that he would feed himself his milk & I usually still have to prop him on some pillows on the sofa in a semi reclined position as he still cant get his head back far enough!!!. Even now if he is on my lap he will let the bottle flop out of his mouth so that I hold it for him raterh than hold it himself. Lazy bugger!!!

As to feeding himself, well we have some sporks & he can spear food like fishfingers & meat & then spoons the veg & mash in himself but it is ssssslllooooowwwww & messy so I usually have a spoon too & shove mouthfuls in whilst he is faffing around with stuff on his plate. Finger food has never been a problem. TBH I would worry too much, they will pick it up eventually.