Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

teeth brushing

At what age should a child be brushing their own teeth? Sorry would have posted in the older children's but it's disappeared). My oldest daughter is four, and I still brush her teeth after she has had a couple minutes t do it herself. At what point should she be doing this all by herself?

xx

Replies

• hiya iv just popped over from the ttc forum, im a dental nurse so thought id reply, the parent should really brush the Lo teeth until the age of about 6 although you cna judge for yourself if you feel your little girl is doing a good job herself, id also advise you brush then let your daughter do it herself after that way she will get used to doing it, its also a good idea to get an egg timer, as we should brush our teeth for 2 minutes twice a day.

Hope this helps

ashy x
  • hi i have a 16 month old son who loves to brush his own teeth and he does it well he has a go then we have a go ive seen in one of those gadget shops a tooth brush timer that might be a good idea or a stop clock try playing a game hope this helps???
  • Thank you for your replies. I will keep brushing her teeth for a while yet, I just didn't want to be overprotective... lol the sort of mum who is still doing it when they leave home image

We have a tooth brushing routine in the mornings and evenings, and I purchased toothbrushes which you click a button at the bottom and the hand lights up for two minutes as a timer. I tend to let them (my 2 and 4 year old) brush for two minutes then I brush for two minutes.

xx
  • Thank you for your replies. I will keep brushing her teeth for a while yet, I just didn't want to be overprotective... lol the sort of mum who is still doing it when they leave home image

We have a tooth brushing routine in the mornings and evenings, and I purchased toothbrushes which you click a button at the bottom and the hand lights up for two minutes as a timer. I tend to let them (my 2 and 4 year old) brush for two minutes then I brush for two minutes.

xx

these brushes are great i use them for my 6 and 3 year old
  • I always brush my three's teeth after they have done them. My eldest is 7 and I still give his teeth a little blast once he's done them just to be sure.
    I must admit my girls(5 and 2 1/2) brush alot better than he does, but I still double check them all twice a day.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx