Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Walking

Hi, Isaac is 15 months old and still not walking, I'm not too worried about it as he has 2 older sisters and an older brother to run around and get things for him and he does walk round the furniture and pull himself up, the thing that concerns me is that whenever he is climbing up at the furniture or walking round it he is always high up on his tip toes, he is tall for his age so I dont think its because he's trying to see things that are higher up, I just dont remember his sisters or brother doing this, does any one think it could be a problem and maybe a reason why he isnt walking yet (all my others were walking by 12 months) or has anyone elses baby done the same and been fine.

Hayley xxxx

Replies

• Options
    I know my grandma always goes on about my mum not walking until 18 months. She never had problems she just couldn't be bothered. I have noticed that some toddlers do tend to walk and especially run on their tiptoes, I'm not sure why they do it. I would ask your hv or gp just to be sure, though I doubt anything is wrong, he's probably just being lazy!
  • Options
    hiya. my lo was 15months before she walked. she was ver quick with her speech and seemed to be standing and walking round furntiure for such a long time but just wouldnt let go. if you held her hands she would walk allday. im sure he is fine with chloe it seemed to be a confidence problem but have to say the minute she let go there was no stopping her. it wouldnt hurt to mention it to hv. im sure it wont be long till you were wishing he was still holding onto that sofa.lol
  • Options
    thanks ladies, I'm sure its nothing to worry about but I never notice the other 3 walking on tip toes and a friend whos little boy did walk on tiptoes had to have special shoes to make his feet go flat on the floor because the tendons and the ligaments were too short for him to put his feet flat which wass causing problems. I will phone hv in a few months if he is still not walking he probably is just lazy lol.
  • Options
    hiya,
    i put a post up a few days ago about the same thing.
    my lo is 13 months and has been trying to walk since he was 8 months.
    he is always on his tip toes weather its walking along the furniture or pushing his trolley around, although, he does put his feet flat when he stops/starts walking. like your lo he's tall so i didn't think it was him trying to see over things.
    i got a reply back mentioning it could be about short tendons/hamstring etc. i googled it and found that there are alot of similar cases. some used some sort of massage techniques and some needed to wear the shoes. what really shocked me was that some didn't quite grow out of it and were still doing it at 7 years plus.
    i'm not tryng to worry you and i don't want you to worry my self. i'm hoping it's just cause my lo (and yours) aren't ready to walk yet. it's just annoying me that every one keeps mentioning it and asking if he's walking yet. i have an appointment with the nurse for los injections on thursday so i'm going to mention it then.
  • Options
    hi d14n4, thats what I was worried about, my friends little boy had this but his didnt start till he was already walking, I phoned my hv but she wasnt there and I got some one else who was really unhelpful, she said to try and discourage tip toe walking, but how do you do that with a 15 month old??, then she said oh yes well it will probably be difficult try putting him in boots or trainers. I thought that was a bit ott to start with as she hadnt even seen him or what he was doing,.

Anyway I have a friend who is a hv and she said that it can be a problem with the tendons but 15 months is very early days to diagnose, it can be an indicator but she certainly didnt recommend putting shoes on his feet yet as it could do more harm than good (which was what I thought), she said to keep and eye on it for a few months and if by 18 months he still wasnt walking independently then he would get referred. She also said that as long as he has the movement in his foot to put it flat on the floor (which he does) then it is unlikely to be the achillies tendon that is too short. What doesnt help is that my eldest daughter has severe hypermobility in her joints and has to have orthotic inserts in her shoes as her ankles knees and hips are out of alignment and that can be hereditary.

Well I shall try not to worry too much for a couple of months, he is a pretty laid back little chap and he didnt crawl till he was 11 months so he is probably just lazy lol. x