Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

it just feels neverending...

just need abit of a vent really :roll:

i have a 19mth old and a 5wk old and finding things abit of a struggle at the moment.
my 19mth old is bloody hard work and going through the climbing phase, my 5 wk old has bad colic and reflux and just seems to cry all day.

I feel so guilty for having another child, my 19mth old just doesn't get the attention anymore and I'm sorry to say that I'm finding myself resenting the baby abit.

My hubby works shifts as a police officer so I have lots of evenings when I have to try and juggle them both through the bath and bed routine, he's fab when he's not at work though.

I just can't see a way forward even though I know it does get better. With my toddler I used to look forward to 6.30pm bedtime! and an evening of peace. Obviously with the baby, it's when her crying peaks and like I siad it just feels neverending!

Any advice or tips on how to handle/cope with two would be much appreciated

xx

Replies

• Aww, first of all *hugs*.

I have small age gap with my girls and know how it can be difficult at times to juggle the needs of both. Also my hubby is fireman so I know about the shifts too.

Is your 5 week old sleeping okay in the day? As this would be an ideal time to spend with your todder, maybe do some dancing/ jumping games to burn off a bit of energy (might reduce the climbing?)

Do you bath both of the kids every night? Some people might not agree with this but I'd say don't bath them every night, a wipe over with a warm flannel is fine- esp on nights when you're on your own with both and baby is having colic and reflux.

Have you been given anything to treat baby's illness? My eldest had tummy aches all the time as a newborn, and rarely slept at night, the only thing that worked for her was sleeping her on her tummy.

I reckon you're exhausted (understandably) and a bit overwhelmed too, but please try and remember that it will get easier in time. Be kind to yourself, you're doing a good job and only just getting into the swing of having 2 instead of 1.

xxx