Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What are the options?

We are going on holiday soon, taking lo, who will be 2 1/2 when we go. At home, he still sleeps in a cot bed with the sides up, wearing grobags. He sleeps really well, and after having some dreadful sleep issues when he was younger (we went to sleep clinic for months!), I have been shying away from changing that at home.

We can't take his cot bed with us on holiday, and the place we're staying at only has proper single beds. I think that by then he will be too big for his travel cot, as we stayed with friends last weekend and he slept in it there, but he couldn't stretch out at all!

So what are the options for him to sleep in? I'm afraid I don't know where to start!

Thnaks x

Replies

• What about a ready-bed?

We are looking at getting one of these for Toby as he's not far off getting too big for his travel cot and we have 2 holidays coming up in November and next August.

Think they are around ??25. They are air-bed, but have a cover on, and a small duvet cover that zips up. Slightly raised sides / edges too.

Good luck! xxx
  • We are taking Jacks ready bed this year. Last year there was a cotbed in our room but he screamed every night we put him in so ended up with me in bed and oh on sofa bed.
    He loves his Thomas ready bed when he stays at grandparents so think he will prefer it on hols this year!
  • Thanks all. I think we will try a ready bed. Lo simply loves Thomas, so maybe having a Thomas bed will convince him to get into it, and more imoprtantly, to stay in it! We will have to have a trial run at home before we go. x
  • My MIL got a Thomas ready bed for my 2 year old for when we are visiting her and he thought it was just something to play on and wouldn't sleep on it! He ended up sleeping in bed with me and hubby slept on the ready bed lol!

Where will you be staying? We are travelling across Europe this summer and have found most hotels offer cots or extra beds free of charge for children. If a cot would be big enough for him that would maybe be a good option. Otherwise I would see if you can get some travel bed rails to take and put on a single bed for him. The problem with the ready beds for my lo was it was so low on the floor he just didn't see it as a bed. My lo was out of his cot and in a single bed with bed rail at 15 months old though so may be completely different for you.

Def give it a go before you travel. Good luck! xx
  • Thanks Liz. We are staying in an old chateau with a large group of friends in France. They aren't abel to provide a cot bed, but they do have single beds there.

I wonder if we should make the transition at home over the next couple of weeks, and take the sides off his cot bed and put bed rails on it. And then put bed rails on the single bed in France.

I know that I am delaying the inevitable, but we moved house 12 days ago, and I was trying to keep everything stable for him so that he settled well in the new house.

I don't fancy a night in the ready bed myself so that DH and lo can have our bed (even though I quite like Thomas!)!
  • lol! You may find he finds the transition really easy, I was surprised at how well my lo moved into a single bed with a rail on. In fact he slept better than he had done in his cot. I just got him a Thomas duvet cover and a Noddy duvet cover to make it extra special and he loved it.
    It would definately be worth a go at before you travel. Fingers firmly crossed that it all goes smoothly and you have a fab holiday!
  • Before the next one arrives we plan on moving our dd into a bed. At present theres a sofa in her room that needs to go to a friend and I dont fancy her climbing on it if she waes in the night!

When we stay at the in-laws we borrowed a travel cot but dd never slept in it for a full night! Last time we put her on a mattress on the floor, then rolled out onto the floor. We are staying up their end of the week and I plan on buying some bed guards tomorrow. I will slip the bedguards under the mattress/floor and hope she stays in.

Just thought its another option if you would feel happier with lo closer to the floor.