Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sleep walking

Any of your LOs do this? Any advice (not necessarily on how to stop it, just how to deal with it)?

Lily (who is nearly 19 months and still not walking unaided, OR rolling over!) has been in her toddler bed for 10 days now and we've had no real problems - she goes down fine and hasn't fallen out, so we haven't seen the need for bed guards. But twice in that time we've found her sitting on the floor (once at the foot of her bed, once out on the landing) sucking her thumb in the middle of the night, seemingly still asleep as she's all floppy when you pick her up and doesn't stir when you put her back in bed. We haven't heard a thump and she hasn't cried, which suggests she's got out herself.

Anyone have any experience? Do you think I'm doing the right thing in just giving her a quick cuddle and putting her back in bed?

Replies

• I have no help or advice but it's intriguing!!!!

I think as long as she is happy with a quick cuddle and back to bed I'd go with that! We have had max sat up and chatting to himself while clearly still asleep and have always just laid him back down - tends to happen a few nights in a row and then not again for months. Maybe it's one of those processing new things times?
  • I wouldn't worry. If she will go back to bed I would say that's fine!

Gabe's never done anything like this, but he didn't go into his bed until age 2 when he started climbing out of the cot. He's been in a bed about a month now, and he hates it!!!

He sleeps in it until any time between 12 am - 5am, and then he sneaks into our bed.....sometimes unnoticed!!!

We maybe have ONE undisturbed night a week and even then he wakes at 5.30.

I wish we'd done it earlier like you have!! At Lily's age- maybe bit younger - he would sleep in a bed fine when we were on holiday x
  • I think you're dealing with it well, just put her back to bed and tuck her in, if she goes off to sleep.. or rather, stays asleep without any upset then she should be just fine! bless her though, it's quite strange but cute that she sleep walks.

Evie does quite often talk/shout or sit up in her sleep. I'll run into her room thinking somethings the matter just to find her sound asleep and shouting away!

xx