Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

what do you think about REINS

hi jayden 1 now and has been walking since 9 months, he can even run now lol, oh wants o get jayden some reins has he wont hold anyones hand if we go out somewhere short, and trys to run off, but my friend thinks they look like your taking your dog for a walk and has put me off slightly, idearly i would like to teach jayden not to run off but hes only 1 so wont understand, who eles lo have reins?what do u think of them xx

Replies

• I use reins with Neve sometimes, I hold them in the same hand that I hold her hand with so she realises that she has to hold my hand and if she refuses then I pick her up or pop her back in the pushchair and she gets the message.

To be honest I am sick of hearing people say that they don't look nice, they are a safety aid while we teach our toddlers how to stay safe whilst out and about. Toddlers are unpredictable and if using reins stops Neve from yanking her hand from me when I am not expecting it and running into the path of an oncoming car then why wouldn't I use them?

However I dd have to tell my mum that they are not a steering mechanism and she still has to treat her as though she is not wearing them lol!
    x
  • Nothing wrong with using reins - we got some for cole as soon as he was walking. Better reins and having people thinking it looks bad than my child slipping my grasp and running in front of a car.

Cole has been wearing them since before he turned 1 and he has no problems with putting them on and he runs but doesn't run away when wearing them whereas if we hold his hand he often tries to pull away. I've taken him in the odd shop without reins and its way too much like hard work as he wants to run off but with reins he knows he can't get far so he doesn't charge like a lunatic.

when he was smaller I also found it easier on my back to hold those than hold his hand.

Honestly wouldn't worry what others think - especially if your lo is prone to running off.
  • I don't think there is anything wrong with them although I have never used them yet. I actually was saying to my husband yesterday about starting to use them. We took Kara to the Zoo and all she wanted to do was walk around. I think it would have been easier with reins. I saw another child with them and thats what reminded me about them.
  • i agree with everyone else and think there is nothing wrong with using reins, they might not be the best things to look at but i would rather them then by dd run in the road! we introduced our riens around 13months, my dd seemed to fall over alot more with them on so we waited a bit then tried again and she hated them! she wouldnt walk with them on just sat on the floor lol. so we made a rule, hold our hands or go in pram, she soon caught on and always holds hands now. image x
  • yeh jayden does run off a lot, will be getting some soon, thanks 4 replys xxx
  • yeh jayden does run off a lot, will be getting some soon, thanks 4 replys xxx
  • I also use the rucksack version, it is great! My little boy loves them and he puts a snack in his bag, so he never refuses to put them on. Would def recommend them.
  • I was a bit apprehensive because of all the stigma but they're great, it's not like I pull him everywhere, he goes where he wants and yet I'm there to catch him if he falls, or grab him if there's danger. Don't use them all the time but I do try to hold his hand aswell. He's only 18mths so have the reins as the looked like they were more support but when he's a little older I'm definitely going to get him a back pack one as they look great and very toddler with attitude friendly LOL
  • we have used reins since sam started to walk, nothing wrong with them at all - they are for safety!
  • Yes, I am all for reins. Daniel is 17 months,a nd we have just bought one of those absolutely fabulous little life backpacks in the shape of a bee, and he looks so cute with it on. I am trying to get him used to wearing them, so we started using them in the garden this weekend. I let him go wherever he wanted, just for him to feel comfortable with them on. I am all for children having their freedom, but at such a young age, I just won't take the risk of something taking his fancy and him rushing into danger in the excitement of going to it. The reins are perfect - they even have a built in busy bee hat with antennae! And I thought he couldn't get any cuter! (I am such a smitten mummy!) :\)

[Modified by: Rhian2 on June 22, 2009 12:54 PM]