Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Car sick anyone??????

Hi, does anyone's 2 1/2 year old get car sick? My daughter is terrible, she can't even do a 10 mile journey! We have tried putting her car seat in the front but it makes little difference. I have tried giving her half a "sea legs" tablet and it did seem to work with no sickness but it made her drowsy and very irritable like she was very over tired.
I took her to the GP who recomended Phenergan as being the best, which i know makes you drowsy, however, i have heard that it can have the opposite effect and make you hyper!!!!!

We are going to Portugal in sept and im concerned about how she will be on the journey. I am taking her to the airport by train and meeting my husband and other daughter there. Im hoping she will be ok with the flight but am worried about the coach journey at the other end. Im planning to give her phenergan the night before we travell and then another dose just before we get on the flight.

anyone else had any experiences of similar thing? what did you do? any tips?

thanks in advance xx;\)

Replies

• hi there, no personal experience but I thought they took the drowsiness stuff out of phenigan now??

My mate suffers and she swears by the wrist bands you can get for motion sickness, you could try them as they are natural and no drugs, they work by putting pressure on the pulse points

here's a link
    http://www.roamingfox.co.uk/Travel-Sickness-Wrist-Bands-pr-16175.html

hth's
  • I d suggest the wrist bandsa as well, I know they make them in childrens sizes as well. It is worth a try !
  • Hi, thanks very much for the replies, I have tried her with the wrist bands but sadly they didn't work for her, and we have put her car seat in the front (disabled the air bag of course) but that makes little difference.
    Guess we will just have to ride it. I always take her on the train where possible as I get all churned up myself if we take her in the car, I don't deal with vomit very well
  • Hi I don't have a child that's car sick but I suffer from
    it and sometimes get ill just on the way home from work. Luckily I can feel it coming on and know what to do. For me the wristbands don't help. I find I'm better if the car is cool, I practically stick my head out the window when I feel it coming on. I also need to look where I'm going so can't read or anything. I can't even text (obv I'm not driving). I know it's difficult with a child as you can't force them to stare at the road. Also helps if I don't have anything too rich or too soon before a long car journey. Take breaks as well if you can. A few minutes walking round can sometimes makes the sickness pass. Good luck mine has eased over the years.